I'm back! Progress made!

Hi guys!

Over the last two months I've made amazing progress with my Autism and with my life Slight smileBlush I'm eating better, I've even started having breakfast (although I'm not keen on it) and I'm also going for more walks and my worrying and physical anxiety pain is better. Overall I am feeling so much better Slight smile I've also been writing a book and I'm proud to say that I'm actually thinking of publishing it as it's nearly done!!

Sadly but communication skills are still bad and I still suffer from panic attacks if I push myself too far. But right now I'm comfortable and I have to say, I'm more than happy to be back here with you guys!

Parents
  • That’s great news Smiley thanks for sharing and  don’t push yourself too far Dizzy

• Thank you BlueRay Slight smile I'm going slowly so hopefully I don't screw it up.

• Yeah, me too. It’s taken nearly two years and four support workers (if you include my autism psychiatrist) to convince me to take ‘baby steps’. 

I didn’t understand what they were talking about at first and thought it was a ridiculous idea, until I witnessed for myself that the less I did, the more I achieved Blush.

I only eat once or twice a day (when I’ve got a routine) so I’m currently exploring what works best for me, for example, eating my food earlier in the day or later in the day. And it looks like earlier is going to work for me, which is how I used to eat when I was at my best. 

My goal, before I even think about working again, is to figure out what works best for me to eliminate the possibility of another burnout. And so far, it’s going very very well. I absolutely know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that I’ll never experience burnout again and baby steps has been a key player on my journey to this realisation. 

Keep up the good work brother because once we get this, we really do begin to live the enormous benefits of being autistic in today’s world Heart eyes

• Yeah, I know that one, some unexpected understanding coming from some people Blush

• Yeah, my support workers have been great and I often walk away from my psychiatrist thinking, he doesn’t really understand what it’s like to be autistic but then I realised, how could he but he always says one thing that seems to snap me out of whatever obsessive thought pattern I’m in and that’s good enough for me because my real support comes from the support workers or the people on here and my local autism group and whenever I saw the normal mental health team, they were about as good as a chocolate fire guard, lol, they had no awareness of autism at all and didn’t seem open to even trying to see it my way, so I keep away from them now because they make me feel worse. 

That's pretty much the was I'm feeling about my situation. Mine are as useful as the chocolate fireguard too! There's more to it, but as I've said I'll address it first before I tell all here. I'm pretty obsessive too, but I've learned more about that in my support network too.

I think I’ve been lucky in that I am able, to some degree, articulate what’s going on for me and somehow from that, they are able to somehow help me but it’s coupled with the support I get from coming here and the people at my group so somehow, I’ve been able to muddle my way through. 

Yeah, I think that being able to express it has helped me too. I've got a mentor and we have some pretty interesting conversations because she can articulate it well too. I think that my worker likes the fact that I can articulate it too. I think that it gives them experience, but it also helps you pinpoint your needs so that they can put things into practice tnat they know. It's a blessing to be able to put across what you need, and have people who can offer real solutions.

I’m glad you’ve got at least one person on your side. Having at least one person on my side helps me tremendously, even if they don’t fully understand me. It’s just comforting to me knowing I’ve got someone. 

I do count my blessings too. My worker has got me through so much. It's also odd since my diagnosis which people I have around me that understand more than others, some were very unexpected.

• Yeah, my support workers have been great and I often walk away from my psychiatrist thinking, he doesn’t really understand what it’s like to be autistic but then I realised, how could he but he always says one thing that seems to snap me out of whatever obsessive thought pattern I’m in and that’s good enough for me because my real support comes from the support workers or the people on here and my local autism group and whenever I saw the normal mental health team, they were about as good as a chocolate fire guard, lol, they had no awareness of autism at all and didn’t seem open to even trying to see it my way, so I keep away from them now because they make me feel worse. 

I think I’ve been lucky in that I am able, to some degree, articulate what’s going on for me and somehow from that, they are able to somehow help me but it’s coupled with the support I get from coming here and the people at my group so somehow, I’ve been able to muddle my way through. 

I’m glad you’ve got at least one person on your side. Having at least one person on my side helps me tremendously, even if they don’t fully understand me. It’s just comforting to me knowing I’ve got someone. 

• I'm lumbered with a psychiatrist from a Mental Health trust. Not good, not good at all. I'm having big problems, but I'm dealing with that situation, and I'm planning to tell my story here when it's all played out. Suffice to say the consideration my autism is given is negilible. There are far worse aspects to the situation, but I'm going to address those before getting into it here.

I was signposted to a worker, who is a pretty amazing lady. To tell the truth I don't know how I'd have got through the past few years without her. Really she has been a rock.

I'm glad to hear you have someone like that looking out for you. I would like someone in the mental heath service too, but I have my worker, who frankly has done more for me than any shrink I've seen over the years.

• He's the guy who diagnosed me and he gave me his mobile number so I can call him anytime, and he always calls me back within the hour, even when he's not at work, and he always gives me an appointment to see him when I feel I need to see him.  

I was wondering the other day, why this is so, when I know other people in my area don't get to see him or have his mobile number, and I think it might be because he's scared I might kill myself.

I only really have two moods ~ ridiculously happy or suicidal and when I call him, it's always when I'm upset, which means, suicidal. So I reckon that's why he keeps on seeing me. 

He's really good as well. He just usually says one little thing that turns everything around. For example, when I thought I was avoiding doing things, he said I wasn't avoiding doing them, it was more self preservation, and that changed everything for me. So he's really helpful. 

• He's the guy who diagnosed me and he gave me his mobile number so I can call him anytime, and he always calls me back within the hour, even when he's not at work, and he always gives me an appointment to see him when I feel I need to see him.  

I was wondering the other day, why this is so, when I know other people in my area don't get to see him or have his mobile number, and I think it might be because he's scared I might kill myself.

I only really have two moods ~ ridiculously happy or suicidal and when I call him, it's always when I'm upset, which means, suicidal. So I reckon that's why he keeps on seeing me. 

He's really good as well. He just usually says one little thing that turns everything around. For example, when I thought I was avoiding doing things, he said I wasn't avoiding doing them, it was more self preservation, and that changed everything for me. So he's really helpful. 

Children
  • Yeah, I know that one, some unexpected understanding coming from some people Blush

That's pretty much the was I'm feeling about my situation. Mine are as useful as the chocolate fireguard too! There's more to it, but as I've said I'll address it first before I tell all here. I'm pretty obsessive too, but I've learned more about that in my support network too.

Yeah, I think that being able to express it has helped me too. I've got a mentor and we have some pretty interesting conversations because she can articulate it well too. I think that my worker likes the fact that I can articulate it too. I think that it gives them experience, but it also helps you pinpoint your needs so that they can put things into practice tnat they know. It's a blessing to be able to put across what you need, and have people who can offer real solutions.

I do count my blessings too. My worker has got me through so much. It's also odd since my diagnosis which people I have around me that understand more than others, some were very unexpected.

• I'm lumbered with a psychiatrist from a Mental Health trust. Not good, not good at all. I'm having big problems, but I'm dealing with that situation, and I'm planning to tell my story here when it's all played out. Suffice to say the consideration my autism is given is negilible. There are far worse aspects to the situation, but I'm going to address those before getting into it here.

I was signposted to a worker, who is a pretty amazing lady. To tell the truth I don't know how I'd have got through the past few years without her. Really she has been a rock.

I'm glad to hear you have someone like that looking out for you. I would like someone in the mental heath service too, but I have my worker, who frankly has done more for me than any shrink I've seen over the years.