Social services removing children from parents with ASD

Hi, 

I am an autistic adult who is a parent. Since having my daughter I went through a terrible time with social services who set me up to fail and removed my daughter from me because I have a diagnosis of autism. It took me two years to fight for my daughter back and through this time social services and Cafcass used the so called deficits of my autism to justify the removal and to stop the return of my daughter. Thankfully the judge saw through this and returned my daughter concluding in her judgment that I parent my daughter to a high standard. 

I want to know how many my adults will autism who are parents have been through a similar situation. How many parents with ASD and other disabilities and or impairments are being targeted by social services and having their children removed? If you have experienced this please tell your story because the current system is outrageously discriminative against parents who have a disability and or impairment and I would like to raise awareness of the current failures within the current child protection system which is targeting parents with disabilities and or impairments so that change can happen. 

Parents
  • It might be a good idea to contact some local disability rights groups and get involved with them for a while to find out how you can support social workers to better understand autism and to maybe help them to be able to help autistic parents to better overcome their difficulties.

You weren't clear who you would like to bring awareness to but I'm guessing that you're talking about social workers. Maybe you could go into social work departments and give talks and information on autism?

Whatever approach you take or however you decide to contribute, I'm sure the disability rights groups would be able to help you to device a plan of what steps you will need to take.

Good luck. I think it's very honourable for you to do this. I know when I was a parent, it was all I could do just to keep it together as a parent, without working, paid or unpaid. I think it's great you can do that. We need more people like you. Thank you and good luck because I know I could have used some help with raising my son when he was still a child.

• It might be a good idea to contact some local disability rights groups and get involved with them for a while to find out how you can support social workers to better understand autism and to maybe help them to be able to help autistic parents to better overcome their difficulties.

You weren't clear who you would like to bring awareness to but I'm guessing that you're talking about social workers. Maybe you could go into social work departments and give talks and information on autism?

Whatever approach you take or however you decide to contribute, I'm sure the disability rights groups would be able to help you to device a plan of what steps you will need to take.

Good luck. I think it's very honourable for you to do this. I know when I was a parent, it was all I could do just to keep it together as a parent, without working, paid or unpaid. I think it's great you can do that. We need more people like you. Thank you and good luck because I know I could have used some help with raising my son when he was still a child.

Children
No Data