AUTISTIC SPECTRUM DISORDER AND EMPLOYMENT

Good afternoon my fellow aspies.

I would like to speak to you all regarding something that i feel very passionately about.

This would be the impact that Autism can have in the work place on a social level.

I personally have experienced a great deal of friction in this area and it has had a significant impact on my well being.  These difficulties have been ignored by my employer. This is an absurdity to me as it was my employer that paid for my diagnosis.  The truth is that i would never have pursued a diagnosis had it not been for the impact that my Autistic Spectrum Disorder (commonly known as Aspergers) has on my day to day working life. 

The difficulties i experience are many but the issue i would like to focus on in particular are the social issues. In a nut shell 'i am come across as arrogant, aloof and lack a sense of hierarchy'. Throughout my working life i beleive this has made me a target for bullying and harassment in the work place. It has caused me to leave a number of jobs (admittedly i had not received my formal diagnosis at these times).

For various reasons not dissimilar to those that have materialised in other jobs, i am now in dispute with my current employer. The difference here is that i have had my diagnosis and this was paid for by my current employer. Bizarrely my employer is now denying my disability even though they paid for the diagnosis.

What i have found utterly shocking however throughout this situation is not simply the ignorance of my employer. It is also my experience with the organisation we all know as ACAS. This is an organisation i turned to in the hope that they would assist me in resolving issues with my current employer. How wrong i was.  To any of you that experience issues in the work place; please be careful when dealing with this organisation.

It is my understanding that this organisation is supposed to be impartial. My experience so far has shown to me that they are entirely biased in favour of the employer. Their involvement has also perversely affected the behavior of my employer also.

I informed my conciliator that i had Autistic Spectrum Disorder from the outset of their involvement. I offered to have someone from the NHS explain to her what the condition was. She was dismissive of the offer and claimed she knew exactly what it was. From this point onward i felt that she didnt take me seriously at all.

I do not want to go into to much detail about this case at the moment but i would say that she advised me to agree to all of my employers demands, was reluctant to communicate with me and at one stage told me 'i was paranoid, should go see my cousellor and should go for a walk to clear my head'.

I made a request to see her line manager and had to wait until the last day of the allocated conciliation time frame to speak to him. When i did speak to him, he explained to me that he was responsible for giving out Autism Awareness training to his staff. For a split second i found this comforting; that was until he then proceeded to tell me how autism and aspergers where to separate conditions. As i underdtand it, aspergers technically doesn't exist when it comes to DSM5 criteria. Correct me if im wrong. 

Further to this, someone at ACAS has informed my employer that i had made a complaint (which i am certain breaches data protection laws). They have also told my employer that everything they have done (with regards to myself) will stand up to any 3rd party scrutiny. This beggars belief for me for the following reasons:-

1. They are supposed to be impartial.

2. They are not supposed to give legal advice.

3. They are not qualified to give legal advice.

4. How can they know what is correct regarding my treatment if they themselves are not properly educated on my condition.

I have since been in contact with a long lost school friend and amazingly he has recently been diagnosed and is experiencing similar social issues in the work place. He has told me that his experience with ACAS has been equally troubling.

What on earth is this organisation? Am i correct in assuming that as an arm of the government, this organisation should be subject to statutory guidance as set out in the 2009 autism strategy? If you have work issues and feel you have to turn to this organisation,  i urge you to be very wary of them.

Parents
  • I will be very wary of ACAS. What a horrible sordid situation. We are definitely in the minority in this world :( my past employer breached the GDPR as well. The difficulty is letting the bloody thing go. I can't offer much advice on this except try not to ruminate over the injustices done to you. The big corporations don't care and laws obviously don't keep us safe if they're so wilfully breached. However, no surprise from a Tory government. I feel angry on your behalf. It is hard to let go of injustice. Sorry this has happened to you.

• Risk:

-deterioration of mental health

-expensive legal fees

-singling yourself out when it comes to future employment as there is always somebody who knows somebody and gossip spreads. I had two interviews compromised by the fact the interviewers were friendly with management in the previous shithole that breached the GDPR and allowed its employees to engage in bullying intimidatory practices. 

-nothing will change for the better

-relationships in the office will worsen. If you decide to stay there, it could become intolerable

-corporate gaslighting

-sued for libel or slander. David vs Goliath

-nobody will get punished and nobody will get fired. However the target will now be visible on your back 

-they broke the law before. It is likely that that won't change going forward

Reward: 

-you will win and have the moral high ground

- you will have made a stand

-you might get a decent cash lump sum for compensation. But what is the likelihood of this and then what next for your career?

• The price of their behavior on my mental health has already been a heavy one.

Though throughout i have always done my job well.

• My case has now been listed for a 5 day hearing and my employer is desperate to settle. I have judicial mediation set up for in a months time. My employer is going to have to dig in to their wallet. 

Judge was wonderful, my employers argument was dismissed entirely. They now have to go back to the drawing board.

• Ive not been spat out yet. Im still employed by the company. The odds are against me (david and goliath) but its not over yet. In truth it is ACAS that i want to get. If i win this case, i will have a clear case against ACAS

Reply Children
No Data