Inability to hold down a job. Why?

The first place I was in (full time contract) held a meeting between management and HR and said I could leave the job there and then and be paid for the three months notice I would have worked. I hated the environment in that place so I was glad to go. I was told in the past while in this job that I wasn't productive enough. I worked here just under a year,

The second place did not renew my 3 month temporary contract citing performance and quality issues. This does not make sense as I focus a lot on detail so the quality should at least have been good. Four other temporary staff were kept on after their contracts ended. Out of the 5 temporary people, I was the only one not kept on.

Is this a pattern that's going to keep repeating itself? Saddening if so. Do they see the aspergers and make excuses to get rid of me? I thought my work quality was far better than others who were more pally with management (in other words the *** lickers).

I have always found I need to keep starting again in life. I'm in my 30s and it's back to the drawing board. 

Parents
  • Paid three months notice!  I love it. Heart eyes

In my last job I was only paid 1 week in lieu of notice.

Your experiences sound depressingly familiar to me.

I am in my fifties and have only had short term jobs with management and  HR people getting rid of me as quickly as possible.

Now I am stuck in between employers who don't want me because they think I'm unemployable AND the job centre who insist that I am perfectly healthy and should be working.

• Paid three months notice!  I love it. Heart eyes

In my last job I was only paid 1 week in lieu of notice.

Your experiences sound depressingly familiar to me.

I am in my fifties and have only had short term jobs with management and  HR people getting rid of me as quickly as possible.

Now I am stuck in between employers who don't want me because they think I'm unemployable AND the job centre who insist that I am perfectly healthy and should be working.

Children
  • This is the real difficulty for autistic people - our differences often make it impossible for us to blend in, so we become the targets for bullying and abuse, but when it comes to dealing with the Job Centre they fail to recognise any of this.

We need radical action to tackle employment based discrimination covering recruitment, induction, supervision and appraisal. Exit interviews should also be standard as people may only feel able to speak up about abuse when they are leaving.

No wonder we lose confidence in our abilities and get anxious and depressed. The way autisitic people are treated at work is scandalous. It is so difficult to achieve any kind of legal redress - employment tribunal records relating to autism show just how tricky this is. 

While employers are able to behave badly with impunity what hope do we have? It is distressing to see good, honest, decent autistic people being treated with such contempt. (End of rant).