My gut instinct tells me am autistic but still self doubting, am confused.

I am confused.com

I think I maybe on the autistic spectrum, I have an appointment booked with the GP this Friday to ask for a referral but originally, I had made the appointment as I was struggling with depression and then a friend suggested it might be high functioning autism.

I did my reading on this forum, and other places including watching videos on YouTube by women on the spectrum it sounded just like me like I could have been giving that talk, but now am anxious and confused what if the GP does not believe me and what if they do but I am barking up the wrong tree and don’t get a diagnosis.

I did do the autism quiz online and I got 38 out of 50 and the empathy one and got 24 out of 80

Does this sound like autism?

• I had speech development issues and was in speech therapy up to the age of 8/9 and recently I have been struggling again like I mispronounce words but in my head  they are okay but on my tongue they come out weird.
  • I have been in and out of employment have taken on temporary employment positions with gaps of months in between but this past year I have worked pretty much the whole time until recently I was just felt like my brain just did not want to function so I quit.
  • During the periods when I was in full-time employment positions, I consistently felt overwhelmed and would come home physically and mentally drained and have to sleep it off on most days it was particular worse last year when I started getting palpitations so went into both the hospital and the GP but physically nothing was found.
  • I been dealing with anxiety all my life except I didn’t quite know that’s what it was, it’s like the most random things make me anxious- like when u get lights that change colour and most situations that involve social interactions i.e. making phone calls
  • I become obsessed in one thing, that I don’t even hear someone talking to me, but if I am distracted from it then I find it really difficult to refocus and then that causes anxiety which leads to procrastination. At same time I can zone out sometimes even during a conversation
  • If I start something I have to finish and cant do anything else until I do, that includes watching a movie, reading a book, colouring or even household chores like cleaning of washing. If I leave it causes me anxiety or is constantly on my mind
  • I cannot multi-task at all
  • I have to have a to do list for like everything or things will not get done if not on their
  • I see everything in black and white and it is said about me I takes things too literally-which has caused problems in my relationships.
  • I basically just don’t have a great handle on life- I don't think I ever had it but really feel like up to now I had coping mechanisms but now they all kind of fell apart because of the depression

would appreciate any feedback does this sound familar

Parents
  • I got my diagnosis last Friday 7/12 and I could have written so much of your post myself! I ended up going for an NHS recognised "self funded" assessment (basically a private assessment that i paid for but my GP referred me so it can go on my medical records). I felt I had to take that route as my GP was really unsupportive of me having an assessment as an adult despite acknowedging himself that i more than qualified for one. He just didn't see the point. I should really complain and demand follow up about his attitude in a formal complaint as he was in breach of policy and denying my access to services I should have had automatic access to.

Go to your GP with a printout of the AQ10 if possible, it can be found online. A score of 6 or more out of 10 means you are eligible for referal. Also take scores of AQ50 and empathy test. And a list of why you think you are autistic.

Hope you get on well. And even if you end up in a long wait for formal assessment etc, self-diagnosis is acceptable and means you can begin to refame life for yourself to make adjustments that feel right for you without guilt.

• Thank you, that's given me the confidence to go to my GP appointment keep wanting to back out but then thinking if I do will just end up thinking about it all the time. 

I was thinking the same thing that if I cannot get an NHS referral to go through the private route as they are more likely to take me seriously if am paying for it or at least I will feel confident.

I found the AQ10 thanks got 8 out of 10 on that one.

true, don't like waiting for stuff lol 

• From what I understand a private assessment and diagnosis is not always automatically accepted by the NHS. And ideally you need it to be so it can go on your medical records. The private service I used required my GP to make the referal and aasessment request so that I can have their assessment and diagnosis NHS recognised and added to my notes.

So do ask about that if you decide to go private. I could not wait the NHS waiting time for assessment, it was way too long!

• I had a private diagnosis. It was added to my medical record no problem.

Reply Children
No Data