How do you explain anxiety to people

I had a doctor's appointment today (about physical health not mental health) and they asked me if I get anxious. I said I did (this is quite good for me, I usually panic and say no) but when the doctor asked me what makes me anxious I found myself completely unable to answer. I'm not entirely sure if this was because I don't like talking about it or that I just couldn't find the words. The most I managed was anything which is true but I feel like I could have explained it better. After coming home I thought about it and I know some general things that make me anxious but other times I have absolutely no clue.

Anyone feel the same or have any good strategies for explaining anxiety to other people?

• Thanks for the replies. Writing it down is a good idea. Only problem with this particular appointment was I wasn't expecting to be talking about anxiety.

• Yes - write it down. In any kind of meeting when I have to discuss myself and my needs, my brain turns to mush and my memory stops working. I get them to write down any decision too because I won't remember the outcome. (Anxiety issue?)

This is the exact. opposite to the 'normal' me when talking about technical things.

• Write it down. I was at the doctor's a few days ago with a list of my problems. I ended up getting upset and just giving her the list to read.