‘People like me don’t get support’

There is a new paper out entitled, ‘‘People like me don’t get support’: Autistic adults’ experiences of support and treatment for mental health difficulties, self-injury and suicidality.’ 

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1362361318816053

Parents
  • A really interesting paper and I’m glad it included statements from the study’s participants as it certainly heightened awareness that I am not alone.

“A recent study on autism language-use from the perspective of the UK autism community, found the term ‘high-functioning’ can underestimate the problems an autistic person can face on a daily basis (Kenny et al., 2016). Bowker et al. (2011)

I found the above statement particularly pertinent re: high functioning. Wonder if anyone here can think of another term?

Also that double empathy problem is very real and the lack of ability to express needs and feelings... to carry on and keep “coping”, until you can’t, or don’t. 

• A really interesting paper and I’m glad it included statements from the study’s participants as it certainly heightened awareness that I am not alone.

“A recent study on autism language-use from the perspective of the UK autism community, found the term ‘high-functioning’ can underestimate the problems an autistic person can face on a daily basis (Kenny et al., 2016). Bowker et al. (2011)

I found the above statement particularly pertinent re: high functioning. Wonder if anyone here can think of another term?

Also that double empathy problem is very real and the lack of ability to express needs and feelings... to carry on and keep “coping”, until you can’t, or don’t. 

Children