Supported living

I live with my parents at the old age of 38. I know.  As an Aspie I will not cope when I am by myself. 

So, as a matter of course should all on the Aspies be offered Supported living.  If you can cope by yourself you can turn it down.

I know funding is always an issue, but the money saved by having to use the NHS might be significant.

Parents
  • I don't think this would work out. Other than Aspergers, there are lots of other conditions that may have similar extents of difficulties. According to statistics, approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health problem each year. If all are offered supported living, that's really a lot! 

here's a list of statistics from just a few conditions: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/statistics-and-facts-about-mental-health/how-common-are-mental-health-problems/#.W-115-j7TIU

They listed quite a few examples, but there are many others they haven't listed in detail. For example, to name a few, there are mental health and neurological conditions such as Alzheimer's, Down syndrome, schizophrenia, Parkinson's, cerebral palsy, intellectual disability, etc. 

If all Aspies, and to be fair, all people who struggle in life are offered supported living, then it would be 25% of the population, and that requires another 25% of the population to do so. Suppose some people can cope, e.g., let's say half, turn it down because they are fine coping. They would mean 12.5% requiring support and another 12.5% people offer support. Together (12.5%+12.5%) would mean 25% of the population. And that's just too much to ask. A country needs people (farmers) to grow food, manufacturing people to make goods (food, clothing), sales people to sell goods (e.g., food,clothing), science people do develop new technologies and ideas, educators to teach the next generation, etc....

So, I think Sunflower's idea of autistic led co-housing or intentional community options is really good. Autistic people supporting each other. Not only will it be less of a burden to others, it would help promote independence skills as people will need to try to learn how to manage lives by themselves. It would also provide a place to share experiences and understanding of each other. 

• I don't think this would work out. Other than Aspergers, there are lots of other conditions that may have similar extents of difficulties. According to statistics, approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health problem each year. If all are offered supported living, that's really a lot! 

here's a list of statistics from just a few conditions: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/statistics-and-facts-about-mental-health/how-common-are-mental-health-problems/#.W-115-j7TIU

They listed quite a few examples, but there are many others they haven't listed in detail. For example, to name a few, there are mental health and neurological conditions such as Alzheimer's, Down syndrome, schizophrenia, Parkinson's, cerebral palsy, intellectual disability, etc. 

If all Aspies, and to be fair, all people who struggle in life are offered supported living, then it would be 25% of the population, and that requires another 25% of the population to do so. Suppose some people can cope, e.g., let's say half, turn it down because they are fine coping. They would mean 12.5% requiring support and another 12.5% people offer support. Together (12.5%+12.5%) would mean 25% of the population. And that's just too much to ask. A country needs people (farmers) to grow food, manufacturing people to make goods (food, clothing), sales people to sell goods (e.g., food,clothing), science people do develop new technologies and ideas, educators to teach the next generation, etc....

So, I think Sunflower's idea of autistic led co-housing or intentional community options is really good. Autistic people supporting each other. Not only will it be less of a burden to others, it would help promote independence skills as people will need to try to learn how to manage lives by themselves. It would also provide a place to share experiences and understanding of each other. 

Children
No Data