Hair cut anxiety

Does anyone else have issues with hair cuts?

I hate being touched especially on the head. I've always hated getting my hair cut. But I also hate it getting long and will not tie it back so have no choice but to get it cut regularly.

The person that has cut it since I was quite young - for at least 15 years has given up hair dressing. This has really thrown me and I'm now really anxious about finding someone new to cut it. I'm not keen on meeting new people either so that really doesn't help. I don't even know where to start to look for someone new that may have a bit of understanding. My old hairdresser always cut it the same every time. The thought of someone cutting it differently really freaks me out.

Probably sounds a bit daft at nearly 30 but this is a massive issue for me.

• No, you are not only one. I don't like the haircut 

• Erm. I do look ridiculous at the moment. Once every eighteen months or so I get the whole lot shaved off and start over again!

• I wish I could be like this but I find it very irritating when my hair gets to/past shoulder length and I will NOT tie it back - I hate the way it feels. I'm also pretty fashion blind and getting it cut has nothing to do with wanting it to look a certain way. In fact I can't stand it if they try and style it anyway. I just want the length taken off it. People have always found this bizarre. Looks and fashion are "meant" to be so important to girls/women.

• My Mum is still the only person who has ever cut my hair (she was a hairdresser by trade before I was born.) She lives a very long way away, and I'm very asocial most of the time, so I don't see her for years sometimes. In the meantime, it just grows. I can't stand the idea of a stranger touching me, particularly my head and neck, and especially when the person is out of sight behind me (I have a perceptual problem with mirrors, too, so they don't help much with this.) I try my best to keep it clean (not always successfully), and tie it back to keep it out of the way. I have never thought of it as a "hairstyle" any more than I'd think the same of a cat's fur.

I've often been accused of being a "hippy" because of my long locks, but it has nothing at all to do with any kind of political or spiritual belief, being a druggie, or even personal preference for a particular hairstyle. I'm totally fashion-blind, and don't judge anyone else by their hairstyle or clothes etc., so I don't see any reason that I should be judged for these things (though I know this is naive and that I will be.) I imagine it probably looks awful to many people now that I've lost most of the hair on the top of my head, but I can't bring myself to care at all about that, and I spend so much of my time alone at home that it's not as if anyone has to look at it very much; not even me!

Likewise with my beard. It just grows there all by itself, perfectly naturally, and I don't see any rational reason for it being a problem to anyone. I always find the phrase "growing a beard" really weird, it makes it sound like facial hair is something that doesn't happen unless you make a conscious effort to nurture it. With the sleep-deprivation from my insomnia and the perceptual problem with mirrors, the last thing on earth that I want to be doing first thing in the morning is putting an incredibly sharp blade anywhere near my face!

• Hate my brain sometimes. Simple things become so flipping complicated.

• You can usually find things like this in local directories or by searching online for mobile hairdressers in your area. I also have great difficulty using the phone, so I understand the issue there. If a mobile number is given you could always try texting instead of phoning. I agree that an email address would be best though.

• I had thought this but I don't know how you go about finding them or knowing if they're any good. I haven't really got anyone I can ask about stuff like this. I hate phoning up for appointments and stuff so find it particularly hard trying to find a new person. Could do with someone that I can email to start with ideally.

• Would one of those hairdressers that will cut it in your home be any better for you (if there are any in your area)?

• I wish I liked it. Would be much easier. I definitely need to find the right hair dresser but have no idea where to start.

• I don't think cutting my own would be an option. I'd end up looking ridiculous. But yes. Glad I'm not the only one.

• I wish I could do this. I am minimalistic with hair care but I really can't stand it long so it's gonna have to get cut.

• Ye I hate the conversation part as well. Like you I was ok with my old hairdresser. She was very down to earth and not at all your typical hairdresser so I did feel more comfortable with her. I can't imagine finding that again as it is rare that I feel comfortable with someone I don't see all the time.

I also hate other people commenting to me when I've had a hair cut so that doesn't help either.

I remember many a time screaming about my mum washing my hair.

• Hair cutting !!!!!

I actually enjoy having my haircut.  Although I have had some bad experiences.  And I go back to my regular traditional barber.

For over 30 years, I usually use a very cheap barbers shop, located in a basement of a city centre market.  The shop has probably been there for over a century.  They know how I like it cut and they do an adequate job.

Occasionally I try others.  But they cost more and aren't any better.  Many years ago, I once allowed my ten year old niece to cut it.  I enjoyed the experience.  But what a mess she made and I went to the barbers a few days later to tidy it up.

I have also tried to do it myself by looking in the mirror.  That's a recipe for disaster.

Finding the right barber/hairdresser is important.  Good luck.

• I cut my own hair around the ears and let the rest of it grow wild. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who hates getting a haircut.   Slight smile

• I hate going to the hairdressers so much that I stopped doing it years ago! I think the whole social side of it is traumatic enough, then with the added sensory issues relating to the use of hair products, and having to pay for such a difficult experience...it’s just all too much for me. Funnily enough the actual haircut or having my head touched doesn’t bother me.

I have resorted to trimming the ends of my hair myself or getting my mum to do it for me,  which isn’t an issue as I keep my hair long. I’m very minimalistic in terms of hair care that’s for sure (I often say my hair is ‘free range’)!

• I dont have a diagnosis but think i may have ASC. ive always hated getting my hair cut. I think its more the sitting so closely with someone and having to make conversation. Ive been going to the same place since 2010 as she has a eeally good understanding of how i wear my hair. Ive had the same haircut for most of this time. I feel relatively at ease in her company which ive never felt before with a hairdresser and all the staff are really down to earth. 

I think when i was younger as a child i hated my mum washing and drying my hair