What reasonable adjustments do people find they get?

Hi All,

I've just had a formal diagnosis of high functioning autism and along with it a list of potential recommendations from a professional to be discussed with my employer.  My employer has pretty much point blank refused things on this list or just ignored them entirely.  Some of them are obviously unreasonable for such a small company like having a quiet place to work but others like adjusting communication styles don't seem to be to me.  Essentially the only things I've had are passive things like being able to wear headphones and move desk.  I feel like the diagnosis has given me a bit of breathing space at work and stopped some of their offensive behaviour but things are far from me being supported and accommodated.

So realistically, what do people find they are able to get as reasonable accommodations at work and how did you get them?  Especially interested in any environments that are as close to small sized business software development as possible, i.e. limited resources and an office environment.

Thanks,

Craig

Parents Reply Children
  • The place I worked were 'sort of' supportive. They didn't address any staff or management issues but, as I was mostly working on my own, I was allowed to shift my hours to whatever crazy time I was up in the morning, I could start my working day, work straight through without wasting an hour for lunch and leave when I'd clocked up my hours.

This minimised my interactions with the lazy, incompetent assholes in the department and maximised my energy levels by not sitting at home for hours in the morning, getting stressed by rush-hour traffic both ways and not being available all day to be 'used' to solve everyone else's problems.

I could start at 04:30, the others arrived around 8:00, sat in the tea room gassing until alnost 9:00, checked their e-mails and farted around until 10:00, tea break until 11:00 - and then - I didn't care because I was gone.

Stealth Mode.

If I was very lucky, I didn't see them for weeks.