Any recommendations-workbooks for HFA?

Someone on another forum has suggested I check out workbooks for those with HFA. I have always been wary about such things as I doubt my ability to grasp the advice given. I think perhaps I should give it a try though.

Parents Reply Children
  • Has anyone come across or used the books of Valerie Gaus?  I can see that they are generally highly rated and yet I'm a little put off by what seems to be a largely CBT-based approach.

• This one is on the link - thanks, I am sure some people will find this useful:

The ASD Workbook: Understanding Your Autism Spectrum Disorder

A diagnosis of an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) can be confusing and overwhelming for all involved, and it can be difficult for parents to know how best to approach the subject with their child. This easy-to-use interactive workbook gives parents the help they need to explain ASDs to their child and provide practical and emotional support following diagnosis.

9 x 5/5 stars reviews (from 11), ISBN: 978-1849051958,Jessica Kingsley Publishers, Feb 15 2011, £15.99

Also available on kindle and text to speech enabled.

• I don't think the exact diagnosis makes much difference. 'HFA' is really an informal and ambiguous term that could cover any autistic person with an IQ>70. So the Tony Attwood books might apply just as well.

So I'd be interested in any recommendations for workbooks or exercises for autistic adults. All I can find online quickly is CBT worksheets for children about emotions.

• Shoot me for being an idiot. The words actually used were .

"There are some good workbooks for higher-functioning autistics (you definitely qualifiy)

So 'higher functioning' rather than specifically HFA. Maybe a technical difference-I don't know.