Disclosure

Many of the regulars here will know about my struggle in my latest job.  With my behaviour being quirky and I am close to being sacked.  And my employment advisors ordering me to hide my autism from employers.

Today I took a risk and disclosed to one of my work colleagues that I'm Autistic.

Now the wait to see if it goes any further and what the reaction will be ?????

Parents
  • Good luck, Robert.  I hope it goes well.

As for being 'ordered' to hide your autism, I would certainly seek advice on this issue.  Your employment advisors have put you in a difficult situation, which they have no right to do.  A union would certainly challenge this.  It's outrageous that you are being forced into doing something simply to assist your employment advisors in hitting their performance targets - because that's essentially what it is.  They're under pressure to perform, and using underhand - possibly illegal - means to do this is in no one's best interests, but especially yours.  Maybe you could speak to someone at the CAB.  You might also get some useful advice here - and they have a members' forum:

Benefits and Work

If word gets back to your employers and they challenge you on non-disclosure, tell them you were only doing as you were told by the employment agency.  Then they can deal with it.

• Good luck, Robert.  I hope it goes well.

As for being 'ordered' to hide your autism, I would certainly seek advice on this issue.  Your employment advisors have put you in a difficult situation, which they have no right to do.  A union would certainly challenge this.  It's outrageous that you are being forced into doing something simply to assist your employment advisors in hitting their performance targets - because that's essentially what it is.  They're under pressure to perform, and using underhand - possibly illegal - means to do this is in no one's best interests, but especially yours.  Maybe you could speak to someone at the CAB.  You might also get some useful advice here - and they have a members' forum:

Benefits and Work

If word gets back to your employers and they challenge you on non-disclosure, tell them you were only doing as you were told by the employment agency.  Then they can deal with it.

Children
  • If word gets back to your employers and they challenge you on non-disclosure, tell them you were only doing as you were told by the employment agency.  Then they can deal with it.

Sound advice Tom.

Ordering you not to disclose! Well done Robert for having the courage to say “this is me!”

I hope all goes well for you.