Thinking of open uni

I'm thinking of doing an open uni course. I never did do my exams at school as i hated big crowds and things. Lately, i have that wanting to do something feeling and thought of an open uni course. Maybe in history or history and politics. Im fascinated with the past and having to see how politics have shaped the world i think that would be great

Has anyone else here done an open uni course or doing one. Is it any good or should i give it a miss? 

Parents
  • Hi TheFunFact,

I hated school.  I was hopeless and didn't learn much.  I left without taking exams, too.  At 28, I went to uni.  It was the most important experience of my life.  It helped to make me who I am now.  So I'd say go for it!  The OU is different, of course, and you'll need to be very self-motivated - learning at a distance.  But it suits some people.  Maybe try a taster course first and see how you get on.  But certainly give it a go.  History and politics - good choices!  I did English Lit., which naturally involves history and politics in the context of the writers I studied: Shakespeare, Dickens, Orwell and so on.

Good luck,

Tom

• Thanks. I'm not much of a people person, so i thought moving at my own pace in my own time would suit me so much. I have the ability to learn. Motivation can be a problem but if i get a routine down and keep to it then that would work.

I know so much about history, so i wanted to try something and put it to good use.

• I'm the same.  I spent my three years at uni largely alone studying.  I didn't really make friends there, but I wasn't there for that anyway.  What I enjoyed most about it was being able to study at my own pace and in areas that interested me, rather than having it all prescribed and directed as in a school curriculum.  I need motivation, too - but I found that deadlines naturally provided that for me.  If I have deadlines, etc., then I'm able to knuckle down and get on with the work.  Left to myself, I struggle. 

• I find giving myself deadlines work. I paid for my theory test before even learning it. That way i either learned it or i lose out on money. I learned spent hours every day and i passed it.

Reply Children
No Data