Living in two worlds

Hello 

I currently feel as though I am living in two worlds, and am not sure whether this is my ASD, something everyone does, or just something completely different and I would really like to know if other people also do this.

When I am alone, usually in my bedroom but also at other times, I have conversations with people who I know in my 'real world'. These conversations can be spoken out loud or in my head and can be practising for a meeting or interaction I will have with them in the future (like answering questions I think they might ask), thinking about what went wrong in a conversation/interaction I've had with them previously, or because I need to share feelings or something that has happened. This imaginary world includes only people who I like, see often and have some trust in and I know that they are not really there. It sort of feels like like a safer version of the real world, and I hate having to come out of it and back into reality. In this imaginary world, when I am talking about feelings, they are often things that I would not be able tell the real person, but still feel calmer having imagined speaking with them about it. I currently feel very out of place in the real world, and feel like it is collapsing and out of control. Whenever I have to do something for real, like go to work or an appointment, I feel extremely anxious and as though the real world is dragging me across the most painful floor ever made so I am wondering whether this might be a way for my brain to cope with pressure and stress. I am a very reluctant participator of the real world and I wonder whether my increasing withdrawal from what is happening in reality into a world that just includes people I trust and like might just be a coping mechanism or a way to have some control and feel a little bit safer.

I do not do this all the time and also engage with my interests, so maybe it's just another tool my brain uses, but do it at least once a day. I am currently working with someone to understand my emotions and brain a bit better and I kind of want to tell her, but I am not sure whether it would be a good idea. Especially as she is one of the people I imagine talking to and also because I think I quite like having somewhere safe to practice and talk safely. 

I feel like it is very difficult to explain exactly, but it is something that is happening more and I would be very happy to hear whether other people with ASD have similar experiences to this. Thanks.

Parents
  • I do this quite frequently, but with people who have wronged me and I just want to know why. It's usually "why do you think it's ok to treat me that way?", or something like that. I also play conversations through my head obsessively, trying to figure out where I went wrong. I don't particularly like anyone right now but I guess I sometimes did that when there were people I liked, and usually I never ended up having an actual real conversation with the real people because I knew I'd just blow it anyway.

• Hi DragonCat16

I do this when I feel I have been wronged too. I have a strong dislike in situations where I genuinely believe that the other person was wrong or unfair, and processing the conversation privately in this way can help me to feel less embarrassed or humiliated by it. I also often don't end up ever saying the things I practised, I guess I just find it a relief that the words have been spoken, in what feels like a safe and controlled way.

• Same! I’m exactly the same :) 

Reply Children
No Data