Did anything good happen today? July 2018

So this is a place to share the good things that happen in our lives. They don't have to be huge even little tiny good things are good.

• I enjoy drawing comics, and I did a lot of that today. I am proud of how far I have come with it.

• I am finally getting round to a few things, saw the GP.about my cough and have an appointment to check for asthma on the 14th August. After a lot of grief, including the fact that our phone and net provider decided to do maintenance just as a new media box was being set up here, I can now have both video and dvd....still have to switch cables though.

And I found an excellent quality ghost film on You Tube here:

https://youtu.be/HWB6sS6yU6c

• Sounds blissful! (Never thought I'd say that about a public toilet). 

Wished I had somewhere at my job that I could retreat to by myself with minimal stimulus and an absence of people. 

• I've just been to my first ever samba band rehearsal. It was 2 wonderful hours of mostly non-verbal communication, rhythmic sound and vibration of the bass drums through the floor. The teacher explained the rhythm patterns and meaning of the different hand signals well and in the space of just 2 hours, I felt that I learnt a lot. 

I enjoyed connecting through the music, swaying to the rhythm and seeing others enjoy the experience too. 

I highly recommend it. 

• Here in London today... Clouds... and even an attempt at Rainfall. 

...HUZZAH!!!

• I'm sure plenty of good new stuff is getting published.  But with the cut-throat way things are now in publishing, I think many are only prepared to put their money into stuff that is guaranteed to sell.  So it's often the lowest common denominators: celebs, cooks, sex, dragons, etc.  Also, a lot of 'new' writers seem to be the products of university creative writing degrees, and the novels read like they've been workshopped.

• I'm going through a phase of re-reading some tried and trusted favourites.  Recently finished Ralph Ellison's 'Invisible Man' and Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness.'  I'm now on Philip Roth's 'Portnoy's Complaint', which is one of the funniest books I ever read.  A college teacher once told me that the only true reading is re-reading.  I don't see much new stuff that takes my fancy, so the oldies it is!

• Hi Tom, what are you reading?

• I cycled to work and back - a 20-mile round trip - and did the morning leg in a record time for me of 34 minutes.  I then had a great day with the two service users I was assigned to.  I spent the morning with one of them painting some pictures, and the afternoon with the other one doing some jigsaws.

When I got home, I went down to the beach for a refreshing swim before tea.

Lots of exercise and creative endeavour today!  Now I'm going to do some reading before bed. Slight smile

• I made an unexpected discovery: I went the loo at work. There are 2 loos and they are individual rooms with automatic lights, except one has a light that doesn’t work. Of course I always avoid this one, but today someone was in the other one so I went into the dodgy one and shut the door. Well, its quiet in there, and PITCH BLACK. It was the most wonderful thing ever: Total sensory rest. Blush Someone has put a torch in there to use, which obviously  I did use after a minute or two, but now I know where I can go when the classroom or playground noise gets too much Blush

• Cool. Well today, I achieved 3 goals, I drank some water, ate some food and got out of bed before 10 a.m. but I didn’t get anywhere near a few of the other goals, but I’m stoked. Oh, and I went on a wonderful walk through nature.

I’ve had a really great day and I’m going to do my best to get to sleep at a relatively early time tonight and have another go at the things I didn’t attempt today, tomorrow. Although I can’t try all of them, the new autism group won’t be meeting again until next week so I have a week to try and prepare for that and maybe next week, I’ll actually make it there. 

It’s been a fabulous day with a little extra thrown in. While I was out in the countryside, I saw a sign for a riffle shooting range, and this  seemed to really appeal to me. So sometime soon, I’m going to give that a go. Maybe it’s the 13 year old boy in me but either way, I’m really looking forward to it so I may have found myself an actual hobby!