Job Possibilities

Hello,

I am a uni student in life sciences at a top UK university, top student in my class, straight As, won a few awards. I have extensive customer service experience, and some limited experience in life sciences research but I don't think any of my references would speak particularly highly of me. Due to my Asperger's syndrome, I find social interaction and practical tasks hard and struggle in the workplace despite my qualifications on paper making me look like an excellent candidate. I get extremely anxious and low when things go wrong, even when it's not my fault, to the point of planning my own suicide whilst in some jobs. Other jobs I have coped slightly better, but I still do not enjoy them and do not excel at them, and they do not give me the 'space' to improve my mental health. 

I want input from others with autism/or with experience with autistic people on what I should do in terms of a job for the future after graduation? The natural career progression for me now is to do a PhD, but I'm not sure if I'll get in due to a lack of networking skills. Even if I do, I might struggle and become very stressed if I can't pick up the technique, or things don't go to plan. A research job would follow this. I'm also very motivated by money, and although I would accept the minimum wage for the good of my health, I'd at least like the possibility of making more. I will give a list of my characteristics below and see if anyone has any suggestions for jobs that might be suitable for me after graduation.

• Low pressure level - not life or death, or dealing with large amounts of money, or tiny time frames - so mistakes are not too costly
  • Preferably simple tasks physically (e.g. on a computer, rather than complex lab work) that still challenge me mentally
  • You are given space and time away from people to carry out the job, rather than being put on the spot
  • No members of the public
  • Preferably biology related
  • Inclusive environment (not a every-man-for-himself competitive path)
  • Liveable wage

Parents Reply Children
No Data