Anyone else have tidying issues?

Does anyone else have issues with tidying up and cleaning? I don't actually have a diagnosis but have strong traits of autism and probably some of adhd too. I find things like tidying, cleaning, doing the dishes etc incredibly difficult. It probably comes across as laziness but I quite literally cannot face doing these jobs and usually let them build up far too much so it's an absolute mission when I do do them. Does anyone else have this issue? And can anyone shed any light on why I find this so difficult or if there is anything I can do to make it easier?

Parents
  • I definitely have the same problem. It was worse when I was living alone, as I would get in from work and only want to listen to music or watch the TV. I didn't have the energy to spare for much else. And I rarely had visitors, who might have commented on it. But occasionally I would get sick enough of looking at it all to have a big clear out. Ironically, I always knew where to find things when the house was a mess, but after tidying up I couldn't remember so well.

Now I have a family I have to make more effort, but still find it hard to get into a routine. And my children are also extremely untidy, which doesn't help. The best strategy I have is to pick a time when I'm feeling rested and in a pretty good mood, then work on one room a time. Otherwise I get overwhelmed and can't decide what to do first.  And I plan tea breaks every hour, because I know that's the limit of my endurance. But I still have some boxes to unpack from when we last moved house (7 years ago), and huge piles of paperwork in odd corners.

• I definitely have the same problem. It was worse when I was living alone, as I would get in from work and only want to listen to music or watch the TV. I didn't have the energy to spare for much else. And I rarely had visitors, who might have commented on it. But occasionally I would get sick enough of looking at it all to have a big clear out. Ironically, I always knew where to find things when the house was a mess, but after tidying up I couldn't remember so well.

Now I have a family I have to make more effort, but still find it hard to get into a routine. And my children are also extremely untidy, which doesn't help. The best strategy I have is to pick a time when I'm feeling rested and in a pretty good mood, then work on one room a time. Otherwise I get overwhelmed and can't decide what to do first.  And I plan tea breaks every hour, because I know that's the limit of my endurance. But I still have some boxes to unpack from when we last moved house (7 years ago), and huge piles of paperwork in odd corners.

Children