ASD or bust?

Through my own research I've come to the conclusion that although I have some autistic traits I don't think I'd meet the threshold for a clinical diagnosis. It's my belief that I fit the profile for NVLD better.
The trouble being NVLD is scarcely recognised in the UK. I could of course put my eggs all in one basket and push for an ASD assessment but if that fails what then? I've already been told by my local ASD assessment centre they don't cover NVLD, so it's ASD or bust. The trouble being that if it's 'bust' other possibilities won't be explored. I'm not sure it would help much at my advanced age on a practical level. It would be something to throw at those pig ignorant people over the years who have seen me as awkward,demanding,passive aggressive and troublesome etc. To be able to say "Hey this why I am as I am ,and it's not because of any of the intellectually lazy and vapid reasons you pig ignorant people have thrown about. "

Parents
  • I think you're right about Nonverbal Learning Disorder not being commonly recognised in the UK. So, what if the assessment centre includes NVLD under ASD, since it's the social aspects that are important, not intellectual faculties? Does the terminology of a formal diagnosis have to match your own understanding of yourself? If you don't go for assessment, how does that increase chance of other possibilities being investigated?

I remember at my autism assessment, I mentioned that I was always ahead in reading in primary school, and one of the assessors asked 'but was that just hyperlexia?' and I replied that I was following the story and meaning as well as just the words. I'm not sure how much of a trick question it was, but sort of ironic that I didn't ask, and just assumed, what hyperlexia was.

• I think you're right about Nonverbal Learning Disorder not being commonly recognised in the UK. So, what if the assessment centre includes NVLD under ASD, since it's the social aspects that are important, not intellectual faculties? Does the terminology of a formal diagnosis have to match your own understanding of yourself? If you don't go for assessment, how does that increase chance of other possibilities being investigated?

I remember at my autism assessment, I mentioned that I was always ahead in reading in primary school, and one of the assessors asked 'but was that just hyperlexia?' and I replied that I was following the story and meaning as well as just the words. I'm not sure how much of a trick question it was, but sort of ironic that I didn't ask, and just assumed, what hyperlexia was.

Children
No Data