Did anything good happen today? June 2018

This is a place to share your successes it doesn't matter how small they are, 

Share something that made you happy today.

Thank you

Song

• It was. 

The computer you are reading this on is undoubtedly running a TCP/IP networking stack. That stack maintains a kernel-resident table of how to reach various IP addresses and networks of interest. If you manipulate this routing table, you can send network traffic pretty much anywhere. Imagine typing the web address for your favourite news site, but the request and response being routed to a third party. 

You might read:

May throws dinner at Trump

• @DongFeng5 what does that mean? I think it might be computery but?

• Today I manipulated kernel routing tables through ioctl.

• Well I found great joy to see an old friend visit tonight,,,Disallowed Cynosure, now that counts as good things happening.

Wishing you a cool breeze DC. 

Just keep being you as that is the one we like!

x()x

• More Posts here, please...? Anyone...

From myself... the good thing is that It is slightly cooler this night, and so I can Post some stuff. (And the Forum works.)

Yet it is not June anymore, so there, nerrr.     ;-)

• My eldest son started moving back home today. I'm a happy mummy.

• (Um... before anyone posts about "cruelty to animals" or something, I may add some somethings here. The Eagle was not caged, and when the car moved, I saw the white tail rebalancing. That the Eagle was free inside a car maybe that it was a) on route to an exhibition or "fayre", very popular in the summer, here in London, or b) they are one of those Eagles which is trained to do "pest control" within a city.

In any case, the Eagle was uncaged, and so likely used to this City, and being car-ted about... Any filthy-rich Arabs reading this Forum (also unlikely!) would know about this, with you taking your Falcons in Aeroplanes and all that...!   :-)   )

• Greetings! For once/a change... I am bringing this good Thread back to the 'fore. Something small-ish but amazing happened at around 16h (4PM) to me...

I was duing a mundane shopping routine. The bus was stuck in traffic (single decker Bus). In London, with all the noise and pollution and scampering children. I stood near the front...

The Car in front of the Bus... I knocked upon the Bus Driver's window, and we shared a glad-amazement about it... "The guy in front," I said, "He has an EAGLE on his back seat!"

Both the driver and myself found this sight to be, well, AWESOME. The Eagle was as if perched, and able to move as Eagles do. (White Head and Tail, Yellow Beak, and so was a Fish or Bald Eagle.) The car was a sort of Jeep... and so if you were in South London today, reading this (unlikely!), with an Eagle on the back seat of your car/Utility Vehicle... then this is you!

I thought it was a brilliant thing to see, and so I write it here!

• This morning I finally sorted out my payment receipts.

I don't do direct debit.

Instead I pay most of my bills either weekly or monthly.

I should be following strict payment plans.  But I don't!!!!!   I pay when I feel like it and pay how much I feel I can afford.

So monthly it's council tax.   Weekly; Gas, Electricity, Water and TV.

All paid at pay points or pay zones.   And a lot of tiny paper receipts.

Today I dug out all these paper receipts from Jan 2018 to today and sorted them out by type and into date order.  Adding up how much I've paid.

• I started a new job recently. I was given something to do, that had to be finished a set time after something out of my control. 

Tomorrow would have been the delivery date. 

Yesterday, I demonstrated the thing working. This morning, I showed it again, with performance more than doubled. 

I also found and fixed a kernel-level defect in 3rd-party code this week. 

• Finally (after much procrastination) got through to someone at DWP about my PIP back-payments after hearing nothing since my tribunal.  They've finally entered my appeal award onto the computer system, and I should receive my 20 odd month's worth of allowance some time in the next couple of weeks.

There are many practical and therapeutic things that I've been putting off that I'll need to use most of it for, but I finally think I can let myself dream up a nice treat as a reward for two years of sticking it out (and a little treat for my disability advocate too, if it's allowed - he's been an absolute godsend.) Smile

• Today I finally finished my project before the deadline.

• I had 8 hours sleep last night, which never usually happens. When I got up I had one of the least anxious and compulsive days in a long time. I spoke to quite a few friends and they were fun conversations. Today was one of the best days I've had in a long time. Nothing spectacular or impressive happened, but it was just a good day.

• Lol, it's a beautiful thing! I'm a tomato soup, tom yum noodles and pasta sauce saver!

I will literally not buy something until it's on offer. 2 for 1 offers become 30 for 15 when there are certain things on offer. Trips to Home Bargain's usually end up in massive bulk buys. I like bulk buying it's cheaper and means I have to go out less. I want to punch Jamie Oliver in the jaw and make him bite his fat tongue because of his views on 2 for 1 offers!

• Back in 1978, I was panicking that I didn't pass.  I was supposed to be taking Maths 'A' level later that year.  But!!! This was subject to passing the relevant 'O' levels.

I came out of the exam in shock and self analysed my exam experience.  I realised that the reason I couldn't answer half the questions was because the teacher hadn't taught large parts of the syllabus.

A couple of months later when the full results came out and were posted publicly on the walls.  I realised that with my grade B I was top of the class!!! There were also two C's and the rest of the class had failed.

• Great stuff.  I think we all love to save a bit of money here and there. I always get laughed at off my step son because he says I always drive 2 miles further down the road even if it's to save 50p on any item for example. 

I often remember my dad stacking up on jars or coffee of tins of beans and I mean a cupboard full when things were on offer.

It's a good feeling knowing you have replacements in the house for when things run out.

• Good to hear Robert.

I was the same at school just drifted couldn't get myself going on topics of no interest but I have always loved maths so when they put me in for the foundation paper back in 98 the highest grade I could get was a D and that's not a pass so I was really frustrated.

Thankfully the new foundation papers these days allow you to reach a grade 5 which is equivalent to a B (good pass). I'm aiming for this grade but I would settle for a C grade 4 as this is still a pass.

I completed my ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence) level 1 this year also Its just a qualification proving you know how to use Word, Excel and the Internet and understand security risks etc. I will do my level 2 next academic year.

I know these two aren't major qualifications like a degree for example but I've enjoyed them both. 

• Good luck.

I never retook my GCE maths.

I originally took it back in 1978 and I was in a state of shock after that exam because of the number of questions that I couldn't answer.

Up to then I had just drifted at school.  Did minimum homework and I never bothered to read the textbooks outside class.

Surprisingly I actually passed with a grade B.

• Found a motherload of my favourite trainers on a very generous discount! Bought 3 pairs for the price of one so I won't have to worry for a long time. Also bought 10 plain white t-shirts at £2 a pop. Cut the labels out and they will be good. Saved about £200 today and my wardrobes good for some time. Saving money and not breaking my "uniform" without leaving the house. Lovely.

• I have just sat my third paper for my maths GCSE exam and I feel that it went well. I love numbers and working things out that why at 35 I decided last year to go and re-take my maths exam after 20 years of feeling frustrated with the grade I got after leaving school.

I will find out my results on the 23/08/2018 such a long time to wait I'm really impatient.