“I don’t let autism stop me.” Urgh

I have seen these phrase spoken by on TV by those on the Spectrum. 

Does anyone else feel that this simplistic statement is insulting to those who are limited by their Autism? For example I would like to do things NT’s do but I know my ASD won’t let me.

• I think the statement can be contradicting and misleading. Saying that, depending on the severity and extent whether mild, moderate or severe. It is more related to barrier or restriction in some way of the quality of life. For some people it can cause great anxiety and stress to 'come out of their shell'. But, looking back now, I may have some differences with certain situations but it doesn't mean it cannot be adjusted or be found in an alternative (a way around it).

For me, I just had to live a life, I am still the same e.g. I am breathing, moving, eating but some things require a more laid out, step by step method. It does not mean I am not capable it just means I may need additional help or support. It is true that autism affects many people differently as we all know no two people are the same. The word 'autism' comes in so much depth and context. In other words, there are different forms of autism not just the detailed description of the condition for e.g. Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified' otherwise known as PDD-NOS.

Most people just think autism just by the term literally. There are people on the spectrum who are both verbal or non-verbal etc. To only think of autism in one way gives a misinterpretation and lack of understanding in my opinion. I am not an expert but I think more should be done for all on the spectrum to really address the condition and separate the truth from the ridiculous. Autistic people can be successful in many areas of life no matter how big or small.

• I agree with both your points, while at the same time agreeing with the original poster, and am not sure there's a contradiction.  It's not the idea of being autistic that is holding me back, but some of the weaknesses that are the flipside of some of the strengths.

We need to accept that everyone's different, particularly autistic people. I would not see autism as something to 'triumph over' in a media cliché. I'm not sure 'autism' is even really a thing, other than as field of discussion and work. But we may have unusual problems, that a lot of people don't understand (why don't I do something that I've decided to? why didn't I think of the right thing to say to that person the entire time?). People should celebrate their general achievements regardless of labels, but the idea of being understood and 'self-mastery' is also valid.

• I'm limited by my ASD in certain situations but I don't have a problem with people saying it. Everyone's experience is subjective in mostly everything. I do however have a problem with the way ASD is being presented in the media mostly nowadays. Everyone with it is being presented as mostly carefree and totally able to cope. This is complete bollocks, again everyones experience is subjective and this should be expressed realistically. If people feel they don't have a problem, fair enough. If people do though, that's fair enough too and should be brought to peoples attention.

• Isn't it the same as "I don't let being a woman stop me.", in that it's about challenging stereotypes and pigeonholes imposed by society?

I choose to challenge these things and sometimes that's more difficult than at other times. I DON'T let autism stop me but I don't think I've ever claimed that it was always easy. There's nothing wrong with being proactive any more than there's anything wrong with being overwhelmed by the challenges at times.

I go through phases of both and I've found it useful to hear about both perspectives from others.  

• The trouble is the generalisation of the statement.  I can’t or would not dare speak for a whole group of people. 

There are those who embrace it fully and are happy. There are those who see it as burden (according to my psychiatrist consultant doing my assessment) and

Everyone inbetween. 

It does make me sad knowing that I cannot have some of the things NTs have but I wouldn’t be me if I did.  Some days are easier that others.

• I don't like it either, but for different reasons!

* I feel it implies that autism is inherently limiting and negative- I for one don't feel encumbered by my autism, it comes with strengths that mean I am more capable of doing some things than many NTs. Portraying autism in a negative light is something I wish I saw less of- it's the reason some people think it's ok to use abusive 'therapies' in an attempt to 'cure' us, not vaccinate their kids out of unjustified (and misguided) fear or push for prenatal testing with a view to aborting us, plus any number of other nasty things.

* I don't see my autism as a separate entity to myself. It's part of who I am. By separating it from me it's saying it's something that could be taken from me without fundamentally altering my personality and when combined with the above it implies that I would be better off for it, which is insulting.