Diagnosis experiences

Hi, I'm relatively new here. I have suspected that I might have ASD for several years and am looking to get an assessment to make sure. I think the symptoms describe me very well, and I would like to know the answer. However, on the majority of NHS and private clinics websites, they would like you to bring a family member for the assessment. And I feel the request to bring a family member is a major barrier. One reason is that there is so much stigma associated with ASD, I am quite sure my parents would not want me to get a diagnosis. Some clinics do offer assessments without relatives' involvement, but add that it sometimes may not be possible to reach a conclusion without enough information. I don't have any close friends I can take with me to the assessment either. I was wondering if anyone has ever been through a diagnosis assessment alone and can share their experiences. This would be very helpful! 

Parents
  • Hi qwerty,

My mother was my obvious and only choice.  She was quite elderly at the time - 3 years ago - and not very mobile.  Also, it was a long journey to the assessment centre and I didn't want to put her under any unnecessary stress.  I rang the centre, and they informed me - as you have also been told - that they may not be able to reach a definite conclusion without that kind of input.  In the end, mum came (and it was, in fact, a nice day out for her!).  But my own testimony was really enough for the psychologist, I think.  It was noted that I couldn't make eye contact, that I was over-detailed in my answers, etc.  She also had access to my medical notes, and my history of mental health problems, suicide attempts and substance misuse - things of which mum knew either very little or nothing.  I could also give her more details about these in my own answers.  Mum was interviewed for about 20 minutes - mainly about whether there had been any difficulties with the pregnancy, and about my developmental milestones.  From my report, it looks as though she said things were pretty much normal - though she mentioned how I was a 'Jekyll and Hyde': quiet and shy at school (actually, it was a very stressful place for me, and I was fearful of the teachers and my fellow pupils) and disruptive at home.  That seems to be quite a common experience.

Are you sure about your parents?  How well do they understand the condition?  Do they accept the stigma and stereotyping, or are they perhaps more open-minded than you might think?  Try having a chat with them - perhaps in a relaxed setting, where they can give you their focus and you won't be disturbed.  Be honest with them about how the condition affects you, and maybe try indicating how a diagnosis would benefit you and give you relief.  There's huge amounts of positive information out there, too, that you could show them.  Information on this site and others, positive role models, etc.  If they refuse, it's still not necessarily the end of the world.  As I found with my own interview, it's really my own testimony that was the most important.

Good luck.

Tom

• Hi qwerty,

My mother was my obvious and only choice.  She was quite elderly at the time - 3 years ago - and not very mobile.  Also, it was a long journey to the assessment centre and I didn't want to put her under any unnecessary stress.  I rang the centre, and they informed me - as you have also been told - that they may not be able to reach a definite conclusion without that kind of input.  In the end, mum came (and it was, in fact, a nice day out for her!).  But my own testimony was really enough for the psychologist, I think.  It was noted that I couldn't make eye contact, that I was over-detailed in my answers, etc.  She also had access to my medical notes, and my history of mental health problems, suicide attempts and substance misuse - things of which mum knew either very little or nothing.  I could also give her more details about these in my own answers.  Mum was interviewed for about 20 minutes - mainly about whether there had been any difficulties with the pregnancy, and about my developmental milestones.  From my report, it looks as though she said things were pretty much normal - though she mentioned how I was a 'Jekyll and Hyde': quiet and shy at school (actually, it was a very stressful place for me, and I was fearful of the teachers and my fellow pupils) and disruptive at home.  That seems to be quite a common experience.

Are you sure about your parents?  How well do they understand the condition?  Do they accept the stigma and stereotyping, or are they perhaps more open-minded than you might think?  Try having a chat with them - perhaps in a relaxed setting, where they can give you their focus and you won't be disturbed.  Be honest with them about how the condition affects you, and maybe try indicating how a diagnosis would benefit you and give you relief.  There's huge amounts of positive information out there, too, that you could show them.  Information on this site and others, positive role models, etc.  If they refuse, it's still not necessarily the end of the world.  As I found with my own interview, it's really my own testimony that was the most important.

Good luck.

Tom

Children