This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Are there any women here?

[Removed by Ayshe Mod]

Parents
  • You may find this hard to believe but when my local autism support group carried out their latest analysis of the people using the group there were 4 women for every 5 men although I understand the figure is more like 1 for every 9 UK wide.

• Thanks for sharing that...were they all diagnosed women btw.. or on that dreaded waiting list? 

• I don't know is the short answer but I would imagine that the majority are either in the process of being diagnosed - your dreaded waiting list - or (very) recently diagnosed. I have only been going to the group for a year or two but even in that short time I have noticed an increase in the proportion of women although I was still surprised by the figure - maybe some women use the services of the group but for various reasons don't attend open events / activities.

One of the women (I am a man) suggested the different prevalence may be due to women being diagnosed later in life (although I wasn't diagnosed myself until I was 50.)

• I don't know is the short answer but I would imagine that the majority are either in the process of being diagnosed - your dreaded waiting list - or (very) recently diagnosed. I have only been going to the group for a year or two but even in that short time I have noticed an increase in the proportion of women although I was still surprised by the figure - maybe some women use the services of the group but for various reasons don't attend open events / activities.

One of the women (I am a man) suggested the different prevalence may be due to women being diagnosed later in life (although I wasn't diagnosed myself until I was 50.)

Children