Is it too late?

At more than 50 years old, a series of events and encounters in my life have made me realised that I am very probably 'on the spectrum'. It has come to the point where I can no longer brush it under the carpet, act as a 'neurotypical' or let it continue to ruin my life.

Why did it take me so long to find out?

And where do I go from here?

R.

• Thnak you, this is also helpful.

• I was 41 when I came to the realisation that I was autistic, prompted in part by realisation my son was. I was officially diagnosed a year ago. When I approached the GP I explained why I thought I was autistic and asked to be referred for assessment. He happily wrote the letter for me and I it took about a year to get my diagnosis. For me it felt important to have an official diagnosis but not everyone feels that way. If you are sure you have it then you might not need the diagnosis.

I've learned more about myself since learning about autism. I can recognise why I react in certain ways, I can identify behaviour prompted by the autism and know now that I need to avoid certain situations that stress me out. I even changed jobs because I recognized that my old one was causing me stress because it was striking up hard against my autism.

Just knowing helps.

• Hello, I am 50 and am in the process of getting a diagnosis.

I know I am On the spectrum. 

I filled out a web form and took the print out of the results to my GP.  She read through what I had put told me that is no way I would be approved for an assessment but that she would write the letter. I was approved for assessment and am now waiting my results.

I don't think it's ever to late.

• Yes, happy pills won't address the underlying issues indeed. 

I think on the main site there is some info about referrals, GPs and how to go about it? 

Good luck!

• On this website there is information about "broaching" the subject: https://www.autism.org.uk/about/what-is/broaching.aspx  

It is sensitive, as telling someone you think they are on the spectrum might be taken as criticism and make someone defensive - especially when it is raised in a tense situation like an argument.  

I think it is good to broach the subject in a manner that you communicate that you are keen to try and make his life better and more comfortable (and in doing so your own). Maybe that you would like to take his needs more into account?

I am a bit curious about your motivation for your husband to get a diagnosis. You say it has caused you a lot of upset. It is always a good thing to keep tags on your own motivation and this might help you broach it in a manner that highlights his interest in this matter.

I'm just saying this because I know some people in rocky marriages and I find it hard to hear them name calling their spouse "the autistic ***". It has almost become trendy to use the term autistic to husband bash (and this really upsets me).

I think it is only a good idea - if the diagnosis is like a stepping stone to a better life for you both. Are you hoping things might be easier for you both when you know how to deal better with situations? Are you prepared yourself to put  a great deal of effort into trying to understand and make adjustments? 

I'm sorry this sounds a bit of a preach but I'll post it anyway even though I should delete all of it besides the first line. Good luck with all!!! Curious what opinions the rest of the gang has to offer :-) 

• Thank you for your reply.

Your comments are helpful although I deeply mistrust GPs and their habits to prescribe 'happy pills' so quickly. These did not help me in the past and I now understand why.

R.

• I believe that my husband is on the spectrum and it has caused a lot of upset for me in the past 20 years we've been together (married for 10 of those) he is 40 years old and now I am learning more about autism in children it has suddenly created a lightbulb effect in my head!. How do I approach it with my husband to get a self disagnosis or visiting the GP? Any advice?

• There are several people on this forum who have had a very late diagnosis. When we were young it "didn't exist". We suffered on the playground, in the classrooms, having our hair cut, getting crazily nervous and upset going to new places or just finding our way around school, getting bullied. And it affected us all differently - but I guess what unites is the "if only I had known then, what I know now". 

The thing is - here we are. And it is good to realise there is a reason for all our suffering. I am grateful that I know understand better how to take care of myself. But I think a lot of the damage has been done.

Hopefully the realisation will help you in several ways. 

I guess the way forward is to ask your GP for a referral and take it from there. And also just to read a lot about the tips and tricks of how to care for yourself well. 

For me, it has also taken some bravery to accept my diagnosis and to allow myself to be myself (I understand I always was that - but I put so much effort in to trying to please :-) )

Welcome :-)