Is it too late?

At more than 50 years old, a series of events and encounters in my life have made me realised that I am very probably 'on the spectrum'. It has come to the point where I can no longer brush it under the carpet, act as a 'neurotypical' or let it continue to ruin my life.

Why did it take me so long to find out?

And where do I go from here?

R.

Parents
  • There are several people on this forum who have had a very late diagnosis. When we were young it "didn't exist". We suffered on the playground, in the classrooms, having our hair cut, getting crazily nervous and upset going to new places or just finding our way around school, getting bullied. And it affected us all differently - but I guess what unites is the "if only I had known then, what I know now". 

The thing is - here we are. And it is good to realise there is a reason for all our suffering. I am grateful that I know understand better how to take care of myself. But I think a lot of the damage has been done.

Hopefully the realisation will help you in several ways. 

I guess the way forward is to ask your GP for a referral and take it from there. And also just to read a lot about the tips and tricks of how to care for yourself well. 

For me, it has also taken some bravery to accept my diagnosis and to allow myself to be myself (I understand I always was that - but I put so much effort in to trying to please :-) )

Welcome :-) 

• Thank you for your reply.

Your comments are helpful although I deeply mistrust GPs and their habits to prescribe 'happy pills' so quickly. These did not help me in the past and I now understand why.

R.

Reply Children