The term meltdown - does it cause offence?

I’ve been told that the term meltdown ought not to be used because it’s offensive and the term sensory overload should be used instead.

To my mind sensory overload and meltdowns are two different things. I have suffered sensory overload today but I didn't have a meltdown, I left the overstimulating environment for a quieter environment to recover. I do believe though that prolonged sensory overload will usually result in a meltdown.

I don't think this is coming from the autistic population, I could however imagine parents saying it.

I do find it offensive when neurotypicals use it to describe being angry/upset/frustrated because it diminishes its meaning to what we experience as a meltdown.

What do you think?

Parents
  • I would agree that meltdown and sensory overload in my mind are two different things.

Sensory Overload is being overwhelmed by incoming external stimuli, someone might need to go somewhere quiet, shut their eyes and zone out, or cover their ears, put on music do drown something out etc. but it's nothing more than that.

A Meltdown to me is an outward expression of a loss of control, someone is no longer able to control their emotions and so explodes outwardly in various ways (aggression, screaming, etc.).

I agree with you that it probably comes from parents, they may feel that meltdown (a collapse or breakdown or emotional control) or tantrum (an uncontrolled outburst of anger and frustration) are seen by some as pejorative. My view would be that meltdown is a perfectly acceptable term, tantrum is often associated with toddlers, or used to describe adults behaving like children and is used in a pejorative sense when it's subject is not a child.

• I would agree that meltdown and sensory overload in my mind are two different things.

Sensory Overload is being overwhelmed by incoming external stimuli, someone might need to go somewhere quiet, shut their eyes and zone out, or cover their ears, put on music do drown something out etc. but it's nothing more than that.

A Meltdown to me is an outward expression of a loss of control, someone is no longer able to control their emotions and so explodes outwardly in various ways (aggression, screaming, etc.).

I agree with you that it probably comes from parents, they may feel that meltdown (a collapse or breakdown or emotional control) or tantrum (an uncontrolled outburst of anger and frustration) are seen by some as pejorative. My view would be that meltdown is a perfectly acceptable term, tantrum is often associated with toddlers, or used to describe adults behaving like children and is used in a pejorative sense when it's subject is not a child.

Children
  • I think you have a good point there Matt. I have unfortunately had a meltdown on a plane and had to be let off (a long story, but prolonged sensory overload, then chaos capped off by a wailing child) .... anyway, I had no control over it and I suspect the people around me thought it was a 40-something woman either throwing a massive tantrum or having some kind of breakdown. Personally I am not uncomfortable with meltdown; tantrum on the other hand would have implied I was just doing it for effect, which is absolutely not the case.