Face expression tests

I do ok on those facial expression tests, but usually with them only two of the four choices given per picture make any sense. Answering multiple choice with time to think is much easier than making an on the spot analysis in real time. The mind has to process all the various non-verbal and verbal signals so quickly.!

Parents
  • I did better on those than the average neurotypical. Even the test showing just the eyes I got 34/36, which is a lot better than the neurotypical average of 27 and the autistic average of 21.

Perhaps that means that I'm not as bad at reading facial expressions as a I think I am, but I still have no idea how to deal with people in real time.

I also have to wonder under what circumstances those photos were taken. Are the photo subjects genuinely feeling those emotions, or do they put on the expressions as a result of verbal cues? That is, are the emotions real or just being put on by actors?

I am especially bad at knowing when someone is being dishonest with me. I do get an uneasy feeling, but I have no idea how to act on it. Sometimes I know someone is being dishonest simply because they say something that cannot be true based on things that they have said previously. Am I supposed to confront them and accuse them of being dishonest? That could cause so many more problems, especially since I don't have proof of their dishonesty, and even if I did, nobody would care, because my feelings and wellbeing don't seem to matter to anyone. Why is it that people are so often dishonest with me, but honest with each other? Do they see me as vulnerable and easily tricked? Do I have a neon sign above me saying "sucker" with an arrow pointing down?

That's something those face expression tests can't determine.

• I did better on those than the average neurotypical. Even the test showing just the eyes I got 34/36, which is a lot better than the neurotypical average of 27 and the autistic average of 21.

Perhaps that means that I'm not as bad at reading facial expressions as a I think I am, but I still have no idea how to deal with people in real time.

I also have to wonder under what circumstances those photos were taken. Are the photo subjects genuinely feeling those emotions, or do they put on the expressions as a result of verbal cues? That is, are the emotions real or just being put on by actors?

I am especially bad at knowing when someone is being dishonest with me. I do get an uneasy feeling, but I have no idea how to act on it. Sometimes I know someone is being dishonest simply because they say something that cannot be true based on things that they have said previously. Am I supposed to confront them and accuse them of being dishonest? That could cause so many more problems, especially since I don't have proof of their dishonesty, and even if I did, nobody would care, because my feelings and wellbeing don't seem to matter to anyone. Why is it that people are so often dishonest with me, but honest with each other? Do they see me as vulnerable and easily tricked? Do I have a neon sign above me saying "sucker" with an arrow pointing down?

That's something those face expression tests can't determine.

Children
No Data