Are there any women here? #2

This is a root and branch (pardon the pun), fresh-start, clean slate thread...and continuation of the Are there any women here? post 

:) 

• Greetings all. I Post here to move this "chat" Thread up a bit, and see what comes of it. Threads upon this theme are often popular. And "Men" post here as well...! 

As an aside, I myself see no reason why this here Thread should discontinue, just because it was cloned by another Thread which turned out to be SPAM!?

This here Thread is a genuine Thread. Anyone who wants to see the SPAM Thread should have two slices of Bread ready before clicking this link to the Moderator-removed SPAM:

http://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/12220/are-there-any-women-here/

• Hope you are in a better place now.

• Thank you and sorry for delay, still figuring out this posting system!

• Hello, I was recently diagnosed at the age of 42. Relief but very mixed feelings! Hope you get your assessment soon :) 

• Hi, I'm a woman but still undiagnosed at the moment due to the long waiting time for an assessment. I'm middle aged and have only fairly recently started to realise that there's a strong chance that I'm autistic. For ages I thought that I just had social anxiety. It's been great to feel part of a community even though I mainly lurk. 

• I felt sadness at mine because I had an Asperger's boyfriend who was in trouble for sex assualting a 6 year old girl and I wasn't told about it until later. My diagnosis made me dump the boyfriend thinking I was like him evil and cruel and didn't want to be like him.He's still a lazy pig

• I didn't get additional services in 1997 because I was fortunate to be diagnosed so early but there wasn't any aftercare 

• Yes, I am and am so fed up of society.The UK is the problem.The family and faith thing.Everyone is expected in roles so a woman as a mother, a man a father, to have more than one child,to work and stuff.When people are gay,***, transgender etc, when atypical of others they get classed under a label.I wish that wouldn't happen.  People are different. I don't understand the term "Spectrum" either.

• I just wanted to congratulate all the women involved in the making of the Channel 4 programme "Are you Autistic" on being so brave and on a job well done, I found it very interesting and comforting. 

Best wishes

Caroline

• well, my better half says that I "think like a man", so there may be something in that!!

• I think we are luckier to be living here in this time and space than elsewhere.

A hundred years ago I would have been forced into marriage and 'moulded' by an abusumive husband/father into however he saw fit and forced to breed, even if childbirth eventually killed me. And 500 years ago we all know what happened to eccentric spinsters with minds of their own.

Even now....I am glad not to be living in Saudi Arabia, or a country where honour killings may be the norm. Or I could have been born where genital mutilation us the norm.

I can votr, work and own my own property. But there is still nothing to be complacent about. We could go back, The Handmaid's Tale fashion.

I do not really do girly either. I loathe sexism but then women can be misogynists too! I prefer the straightforwardness of men too. I just think most people, neorotypical or not, are just not that much. That is, the species of ape we all belong to that pollutes, abuses, exploits, pushes other animals to extinction and could be happy to bush the button.. Probably my own good self  included. I like to fondly think I would not have kept pressing the torture button in the Milgram experiment, but cannot be sure about that, if I hadn't been wise to it. 

• Hi Lonewarrior, so sorry to hear you are feeling isolated at work. We spend so much of our lives at work and the stress of dealing with people who are giving you negative vibes or making you feel bad can be quite exhausting.

I don't know how long you have been dealing with this or how much longer you need to work, I'm 62 so thankfully my working days are drawing to an end. You are very good at your job and so I'm sure you get enjoyment out of that, I just hope that you can find ways to make life at work in this sector easier for yourself and have ways to recharge yourself and de-stress when you are not at work.

Please don't take their ignorant comments to heart, you know who you are and that is all that matters.

• Most definitely. I do not feel like a man, although I have from an early age felt like I didn't know how to be a proper girl/woman. I don't know where to start with most of the things that seem to be considered girly and necessary to fit in with the female of the species (doing hair, gossiping, forming cliques, holding grudges, interest in celebrities and/or children). I also get on far better with men, mainly because they tend to take you at face value. Women always seem to know I am faking it (masking has only limited success), I can never quite carry it off, but men are mostly oblivious to the fact that I am different to anyone else.

• I wonder how many of us share Shania Twain's (?) sentiment of "Man, I feel like a woman!"???

I am female and have never had a gender identity crisis sort of feelings, but I don't particularly feel any more of a woman than I do simply a person. In fact, I can usually more easily relate to men in 'real life' conversations and social situations. Other than the obvious physical differences I can't really see a good reason why I "feel like a woman". Does anyone else feel like this?

• Yes, I belong to the female gender. 

• Hello, I am new to the forum, recently diagnosed female in early 40s. I have mixed feelings about the diagnosis, mainly relief, sadness and hope! Nice to see there are other women here too :) 

• Yeah, we’re the same but one of us has a body that is categorised as male and the other female. I never read this thread or commented for a long time because I simply don’t identify as female, I just don’t and it is disingenuous of me to do so. I have a female body, I don’t deny that but it is only female because it is physically made that way, I don’t feel that way inside. I had never thought of drawing my own box before, next to the male and female ~ nice one, I’ll remember that.