Benefits and Work

News items from the latest 'Benefits and Work' newsletter.  They may be of interest to anyone on ESA, PIP:

Benefits and Work Latest News

Parents
  • I am in a process of applying for Personal Independence Payment.

I also might be eligible for Employment and Support Allowance. I am in work but really struggling there.

I am wondering, it is worth to subscribe for Benefits and Work Claimants and carers subscription plan?

Do they have information that is not available elsewhere for free? Can I find the same information elsewhere online for free?

Would the website be helpful if I am claiming because of autism related issues?

How good is their forum? Do they send from e-mail notifications?

• I’ve subscribed, I’ve had a quick look over their info and it looks very good. I won’t read it in any more detail until the time comes that I need to. I’m currently in receipt of universal credit but my work coach assured me they would do an assessment on me soon so when I get word of that, then I’ll read the info so I’m prepared. 

• I was told by the Department for Work and Pensions that they prefer people to be in work.

Apparently, it does not matter at what cost to their health and how happy they are there.

I can do only the minimum there. I have no resources and energy for anything more.

Employment and Support Allowance would help me a lot but I cannot get assessed if I am in work.

And if I leave the work, I do not know if I will get it.

So, I am stuck.

• There are tons of opportunities to work from home on line. It depends what you want to do. Do you simply want to make a decent income, if so, that’s one route to take. Or do you want to do something more meaningful to you.

I would prefer something more meaning to me but at the moment I would be more than happy with a decent income. I am so tired to be around people every day and in open plan office. It is like torture to me. I am so tired. I just want to be alone.

It is amazing that you are writing that there are tons of opportunities to work from home on line. I do not see them. Where are they?

I think I already know what I would like to do.

I like computers. I enjoy working with computers.

I am confident with Microsoft Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office (word processing skills and able to develop and use excel spreadsheets, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher, Skype for Business and Visio).

I like to work with databases and spreadsheets.

I have got a very strong interest in data analysis, IT, mathematics, data security and compliance. I am especially interested in cyber security and defense.

• Dear California,

You sound like you are going through a tough time. You sound like you have a lot to cope with and we hope you’re okay.

If you are struggling to cope with the distress or despair, it’s very important to tell someone about your feelings or thoughts of suicide. Call your GP and make an urgent appointment. Your GP can make sure you get appropriate help and support.

If it’s outside your GP hours call  111  to reach the NHS 111 service: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Pages/NHS-111.aspx

The Samaritans also provide confidential non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day on 116 123, or by email on jo@samaritans.org.

MIND have information pages on coping with self harm or suicidal feelings based on the experiences of people who’ve been through it that you may find helpful.

If you are very close to doing something to hurt yourself - call 999 now or go to your nearest A&E department. There should be someone there to support you and make sure you get ongoing support.

Best wishes,

Nicky-Mod

• There are tons of opportunities to work from home on line. It depends what you want to do. Do you simply want to make a decent income, if so, that’s one route to take. Or do you want to do something more meaningful to you. If so, start brainstorming ideas of what you enjoy doing. Without any thought of what you’re going to do with this information or what it will look like, start noticing, as you go about your life, what kind of things you enjoy and write them down. Or maybe you already know what you would like to do? 

• Oh California, you are every bit as brave as me, I promise you, and I’m every bit as shy as you. I’m not deliberately forceful in my approach and I avoid conflicts at all costs and I can’t even say no, I’m only just learning which feels weird, scary, empowering and many other feelings but I’m slowly finally learning to say no. Just like you, I love being by myself so much I do cry. I feel the injustices of this world intensely but in true aspified fashion, I speak my mind which apparently, gets you what you want. I didn’t even realise I was so forceful, I’ve only started to realise this since diagnosis. Even on here, other people’s comments, to what I write, makes me wonder if people think I’m saying something like I’m right and everyone else is wrong. I have no idea how they could come to that conclusion but since my diagnosis, I have noticed that lots of people say weird things to me and I’m starting to realise that I sound confident when I talk which some how makes people hear what you’re saying differently or something but I’m never trying to tell people what to think or say that I’m right and they’re wrong. What I’m trying to say, is that I absolutely promise you I am no braver than you. This world is a complete mine field to me, I barely understand anything but since I got my diagnosis, I’m growing in confidence and it’s the burnout that has enabled me to do that. By being on benefits, which I am so humbly grateful for, I have had the time and space to be alone, time to rest, and I realise I don’t want much out of life at all. Over the last 12 months, even if I had desperately wanted to do something I couldn’t, I was too exhausted to even get out of bed. Which has been a god send as it has slowed me right down and it’s helping to see myself in a whole new light.  We’re not shy or any of those things we think we are. Sure we can be shy some times but so can everybody. For us, it’s more that’s its simply we’re more sensitive to the world so it’s actually uncomfortable for us to be around people for too long. You will find your way California. You’re doing exactly what I did. I realised something had to change, I didn’t know what or how do go about it and the alone time, which I was forced into through a major burnout/breakdown/breakthrough gave me what I needed which was just that, time and space. Now my whole life plans have changed. I’m going to do a masters degree in autism and I’m going to work diligently to do what I can to help spread awareness of autism and to do what ever I can to make the lives of autistic people better. I used to hate the fact that I could talk but my friend made me realise it’s a gift and if I use it wisely, I can use it to help me and others. I’m just the same as you California. You’re going in the right direction my friend and never be afraid to ask for help or get what you want and need. My desire for the next 12 months or so is to get more rest, build up a lovely daily routine that is sustainable for me and slowly but surely ease my way back into work. I will still work as a metaphysician but now I will concentrate my attention on working with autistic people and their families. Of course I will still work with nt’s if that’s who I attract to me but my focus is shifting. Take that time and allow all that beauty and incredibleness that is within you, that is you, to come out of you. And you know, the most ordinary and simple lives, no matter how humble and meagre, are the most beautiful when people are simply quietly and contentedly doing what they love, living life on their terms and their values which never involve finances and stuff. I highly value the simple things in life, like a drop of dew on a single blade of grass in the early morning light, I value people and lives and I don’t place any more value on money than I do anything else in life. People, kindness, love, understanding, all the good and free things in life are what I truly value from the bottom of my heart and life has never failed to provide for me so that is my currency in life and it never fails me. Be true to yourself and keep on doing what you’re doing my friend. It is a journey and does take time, it can’t be rushed, you will come into your own at the right time for you. Just please don’t struggle by yourself, you don’t have to, we’re here for you. I’m almost back on my feet and I’ll come and see you if needs be, you don’t have to struggle alone, in fact we need to share our struggles and our strengths with each other because that’s how we get stronger. When we are united, we gain strength, when we are separated, we lose it. You’re never alone and every one of us here needs you, we need each other. Thank you for sharing with us how it is for you right now, that’s braver than anything I’ve said or done. I look forward to the day you see that in yourself. 

• Oh California, you are every bit as brave as me, I promise you, and I’m every bit as shy as you. I’m not deliberately forceful in my approach and I avoid conflicts at all costs and I can’t even say no, I’m only just learning which feels weird, scary, empowering and many other feelings but I’m slowly finally learning to say no. Just like you, I love being by myself so much I do cry. I feel the injustices of this world intensely but in true aspified fashion, I speak my mind which apparently, gets you what you want. I didn’t even realise I was so forceful, I’ve only started to realise this since diagnosis. Even on here, other people’s comments, to what I write, makes me wonder if people think I’m saying something like I’m right and everyone else is wrong. I have no idea how they could come to that conclusion but since my diagnosis, I have noticed that lots of people say weird things to me and I’m starting to realise that I sound confident when I talk which some how makes people hear what you’re saying differently or something but I’m never trying to tell people what to think or say that I’m right and they’re wrong. What I’m trying to say, is that I absolutely promise you I am no braver than you. This world is a complete mine field to me, I barely understand anything but since I got my diagnosis, I’m growing in confidence and it’s the burnout that has enabled me to do that. By being on benefits, which I am so humbly grateful for, I have had the time and space to be alone, time to rest, and I realise I don’t want much out of life at all. Over the last 12 months, even if I had desperately wanted to do something I couldn’t, I was too exhausted to even get out of bed. Which has been a god send as it has slowed me right down and it’s helping to see myself in a whole new light.  We’re not shy or any of those things we think we are. Sure we can be shy some times but so can everybody. For us, it’s more that’s its simply we’re more sensitive to the world so it’s actually uncomfortable for us to be around people for too long. You will find your way California. You’re doing exactly what I did. I realised something had to change, I didn’t know what or how do go about it and the alone time, which I was forced into through a major burnout/breakdown/breakthrough gave me what I needed which was just that, time and space. Now my whole life plans have changed. I’m going to do a masters degree in autism and I’m going to work diligently to do what I can to help spread awareness of autism and to do what ever I can to make the lives of autistic people better. I used to hate the fact that I could talk but my friend made me realise it’s a gift and if I use it wisely, I can use it to help me and others. I’m just the same as you California. You’re going in the right direction my friend and never be afraid to ask for help or get what you want and need. My desire for the next 12 months or so is to get more rest, build up a lovely daily routine that is sustainable for me and slowly but surely ease my way back into work. I will still work as a metaphysician but now I will concentrate my attention on working with autistic people and their families. Of course I will still work with nt’s if that’s who I attract to me but my focus is shifting. Take that time and allow all that beauty and incredibleness that is within you, that is you, to come out of you. And you know, the most ordinary and simple lives, no matter how humble and meagre, are the most beautiful when people are simply quietly and contentedly doing what they love, living life on their terms and their values which never involve finances and stuff. I highly value the simple things in life, like a drop of dew on a single blade of grass in the early morning light, I value people and lives and I don’t place any more value on money than I do anything else in life. People, kindness, love, understanding, all the good and free things in life are what I truly value from the bottom of my heart and life has never failed to provide for me so that is my currency in life and it never fails me. Be true to yourself and keep on doing what you’re doing my friend. It is a journey and does take time, it can’t be rushed, you will come into your own at the right time for you. Just please don’t struggle by yourself, you don’t have to, we’re here for you. I’m almost back on my feet and I’ll come and see you if needs be, you don’t have to struggle alone, in fact we need to share our struggles and our strengths with each other because that’s how we get stronger. When we are united, we gain strength, when we are separated, we lose it. You’re never alone and every one of us here needs you, we need each other. Thank you for sharing with us how it is for you right now, that’s braver than anything I’ve said or done. I look forward to the day you see that in yourself. 

Children
No Data