Support for people diagnosed as adults.


I'm wondering if anyone can help me...

I was diagnosed with high functioning autism nearly 2 years ago when I was 22 (24 now). 

Because of various issues I was dealing with at the time and responses from family members (separate issue) I haven't really done any research into autism or the help available. Other than my mum advising me to apply for PIP (which I never did) I didn't really think there would be any help available and I wasn't really ready to get any help or accept the diagnosis. 

I'm just wondering what sort of support there is for adults with autism and how to access it? I'm aware there might not be much but I really don't know where to start so I have put it off for a long time. 

I've been stuck in the same cycle for years with the same problems over and over again and I feel like something has got to give because I just cannot carry on. I have severe anxiety and depression, issues with food (not sure it would class as an eating disorder), other than work I don't really leave the house because I have panic attacks unless I get a taxi (very expensive) and I just end up burnt out. 

I've always been a person to do everything and anything for others but it causes me to end up burnt out and having serious issues when I can't/don't want to help people because they just expect me to do things regardless of the fact I work full time and study part time. 

I just want to be able to cope better with my emotions and the different pressures of adult life because I feel like I am heading towards a complete breakdown, I'm still in my probation period at work so don't want to lose my job because that would also affect my study as I'm an apprentice. (The HR department are aware of my anxiety and depression however during my first week at work my manager made some comments about mental health issues that were just not nice at all).

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Thank you :) 

No Data
  • You have a few options so hopefully one will help. Firstly, you can check out the services directory to see what is available in your area, the link is

    Secondly, whoever diagnosed you should be able to offer you some kind of support, whether you went through the NHS or not. I know it has been two years but if you have never pursued it then it might be worth finding out what that support might be.

    Finally, if you're a student there is the potential for a mentor who is also an ASD specialist and can be a support to you while you are in education. To qualify for this you apply for the Disabled Students Allowance through Student Finance England and your education provider should be able to help you with this.

    I hope one of these get you started :)