Autism and clothing

Hello all,

I'm a fashion student studying in Wales and I hoped to make clothing that would benefit school aged children with autism. I wanted to know what are the things you look for in particular with clothes? Are there sensory toys that help? Are there particular colours that are favoured? I also wanted to know the things to avoid with clothing. I'm making these clothes with the goal of that they'll be easy to put on/off, won't over stimulate and hoped to make them so they're calming to wear/help with sensory issues.

Many thanks,

Anna

Parents
  • I would say it could be as much about the construction as anything else, materials, seams and stitches have bothered me to some extent. I'm not a fan of manmade fibres apart from some UnderArmor stuff and some breathable fabrics, it just feels wrong, but I can't be more specific than that. I often feel seams and stitching if they aren't done right, I wear Levi's jeans and can wear Hugo Boss, but for most other brands I can feel the seams down the inside and outside of the leg rubbing against my skin. I find twin needle stitching much better, also taped seams on jackets.

• Similar thoughts as said, seams are a nitemare , I wear most of my socks inside out as the seam along the toes is so uncomfortable and rubs and irritates my toes,

I cannot understand that something made for humans has a big seam and for looks alone must be inside,

I often say” well if you buy a thick pair of leather driving gloves then the seams are outside running along the fingers, you wouldn’t have those seams inside would You?

All labels I remove as I feel the edges and some are so sharp on the corners, 

I don’t  Like nylon type fabrics as I feel the stickiness or clingy sensation in my skin, as well as a feeling of electric or static,

Thick socks with lines running up them are horrible, working outside always means me wearing thick socks and boots, not good but ok once my feet are so numb from cold or pain that I can no longer feel the sensitive feelings.

I cannot wear denim jeans or similar as the coarseness rubs my skin, and the thick seams are always digging into me. That point at the back which is gathered just below the middle belt loop is about ten layers of denim thick? Which digs into my lower spine,

I like natural materials,wool,cotton,

I feel hemmed in with tight fitting clothes, thin legged trousers a no no,

I hate wearing belts as they dig into my hips, I am very thin, 9 1/2 stone,

I have heard many younger children like heavy but loose fitting vests! Weighted to give comfort a bit like a hug maybe, 

As said all children are individual, so variety is key to success, I am sure you will become more aware as you research just what fabrics are liked more.

sensitivity may be key to a lot of the choices,

Well done you for researching and trying to give good clothing to the young and it will be much easier for the parents if the child is happier to.

hope you succeed in your venture.

x()x

• I feel hemmed in with tight fitting clothes, thin legged trousers a no no,

I don't like tight fitting clothes, I'd never wear skinny jeans or anything like that, but I'm a muscular/toned build so they wouldn't fit well anyway. However I do like clothes to be fitted/tailored, I really hate baggy, flappy clothes as much as I hate tight, rubbing clothes. A fitted shirt is much better than a lose and baggy one for me, the same with T-shits, polos, even jeans etc.

I used to find that big T-shirts especially (I'm an XL or XXL, but can even be an XXXL) were always especially baggy around the stomach/waist, they expected bigger people to be fat, rather than just muscular. I've since found that most skate and snowboarder brands tend to be a good fit, as to more premium brands, they tend to be tailored rather than just sacks.

• I feel hemmed in with tight fitting clothes, thin legged trousers a no no,

I don't like tight fitting clothes, I'd never wear skinny jeans or anything like that, but I'm a muscular/toned build so they wouldn't fit well anyway. However I do like clothes to be fitted/tailored, I really hate baggy, flappy clothes as much as I hate tight, rubbing clothes. A fitted shirt is much better than a lose and baggy one for me, the same with T-shits, polos, even jeans etc.

I used to find that big T-shirts especially (I'm an XL or XXL, but can even be an XXXL) were always especially baggy around the stomach/waist, they expected bigger people to be fat, rather than just muscular. I've since found that most skate and snowboarder brands tend to be a good fit, as to more premium brands, they tend to be tailored rather than just sacks.

Children
  • I've ordered a range of organic fabric samples and I'm hoping to take them to my local secondary school to see what they think of them. :-) Thank you for the advise! I'll look into trying out those seams and thank you again for further information :-)