Autism and clothing

Hello all,

I'm a fashion student studying in Wales and I hoped to make clothing that would benefit school aged children with autism. I wanted to know what are the things you look for in particular with clothes? Are there sensory toys that help? Are there particular colours that are favoured? I also wanted to know the things to avoid with clothing. I'm making these clothes with the goal of that they'll be easy to put on/off, won't over stimulate and hoped to make them so they're calming to wear/help with sensory issues.

Many thanks,

Anna

Parents
  • Personally, I don't like 'rough' textures. I can't name the material that I struggle with, but it's similar to voile - I can't touch it!

And for me, lots of coverage is important. I don't feel comfortable unless I have long socks pulled up, a high waistband on my trousers and arms at least t-shirt length.

• Definitely found in some of my research that rough textures aren't favoured and that soft fabrics can be preferred. That's definitely interesting, thank you! All of these comments are really useful, thank you everyone! My boyfriend has aspergers syndrome so it's really helpful to hear about other stories with clothing, as I know he used to rip out any tags when he was younger and if he found any loose threads he would pull at them. Thank you again!

• Definitely found in some of my research that rough textures aren't favoured and that soft fabrics can be preferred. That's definitely interesting, thank you! All of these comments are really useful, thank you everyone! My boyfriend has aspergers syndrome so it's really helpful to hear about other stories with clothing, as I know he used to rip out any tags when he was younger and if he found any loose threads he would pull at them. Thank you again!

Children
No Data