Assessment tomorrow

Hello

I have an appointment with the psychiatrist tomorrow for what I hope will be an aspergers assessment. Feeling very nervous about it as i have no idea what is going to happen or how long it's going to take.  Been worrying a lot in the lead up to this appointment. What if I'm completely wrong about this and there's nothing wrong other than me not being a very successful human. Feeling anxious as well that I will not be able to present why I feel I have aspergers properly and I will waste the opportunity. Will the assessment be done in one appointment? 

Just wanted to get these thoughts out there.

Parents
  • Regarding assessment, I feel it is important to be aware that the diagnostic criteria is not to ascertain if you are autistic or not (to be put forward for diagnosis means that you almost certainly are autistic) but to ascertain the impact your autism is having on your life.

Paradoxically the more support you have and the more you are helping yourself, the less likely you are to be diagnosed. I was explicitly told this at the end of my diagnosis, where my diagnosis was quantified as 'borderline' due the immense support I get from my partner.

Also I seriously understated how affected I am in my daily life by my autism, my partner (with me throughout my diagnosis assessment) often added information that demonstrated the true impact of autism on my daily life. Without her input I feel I would have talked my way out of a diagnosis through ignorance of my difficulties (that I struggle to recognise) and understatement.

(NB: I have posted versions of the above information in other threads)

• Regarding assessment, I feel it is important to be aware that the diagnostic criteria is not to ascertain if you are autistic or not (to be put forward for diagnosis means that you almost certainly are autistic) but to ascertain the impact your autism is having on your life.

Paradoxically the more support you have and the more you are helping yourself, the less likely you are to be diagnosed. I was explicitly told this at the end of my diagnosis, where my diagnosis was quantified as 'borderline' due the immense support I get from my partner.

Also I seriously understated how affected I am in my daily life by my autism, my partner (with me throughout my diagnosis assessment) often added information that demonstrated the true impact of autism on my daily life. Without her input I feel I would have talked my way out of a diagnosis through ignorance of my difficulties (that I struggle to recognise) and understatement.

(NB: I have posted versions of the above information in other threads)

Children
No Data