I really don’t know how to cope with my friend who has diagnosed Asperger’s recently

Hello. I would like to know how to cope with my friend with Asperger’s.

We were good friends. However, the more we become close, the more we argue. I think this is because that we do not understand to each other. Or I should rather say thay it is so hard for me to understand her way of thinking or perceptions....(she says she understands me but she does not sadly...)

We both had tough times last year. We were so stressed out in own issues. I do admit that I was sometimes nasty and horrible to her. I am shamed to say that I have shouted at her so many times. If I am allowed to excuse for it, this was because I was just not be able to put up with her extreme negativity and strong obsession with wanting to tell her favourite things which I do not like to hear and to correct the meaning of the words I used (my mother language is not English) during having important discussions and/or everyday conversations.

Since she was diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome, for me, she now excuses everything that she cannot do or change because of having Asperger’s. It really does not work for me... She has said to me once that I am neurotypical that is why I do not understand her. It may be true but sounded really cold and I felt a big barrier between us.

She found a kind of soul mate who has also Asperger’s in SNS. She is very happy and it makes her strong. She said to me that that person really understood her and made her feel very comfortable. I felt very jealous and was not happy at all because I am suffering from not being able to understand her as a real life friend exchanging many private and life issues but she admires her virtual friend....

I almost decided to end up our friendship because I do not know how to manage my emotions with her. I do not want to but I do become short tempered. Also, she believes in what her SNS friend says and telephone Asperger’s psychiatrist advice only now. She ignores my calls eventually. That is actually psychiatrist’s advice because I shout at her...My close friends advise me to finish this friendship because of wasting time...I really liked her and thought that I could make a great friendship with her though.....I do not know why our friendship became so bad...

Could anyone kindly tell me how to cope with this situations and a friend with Asperger’s, please? 

Parents
  • Save yourself and run for the hills!  

...........must behave myself.....

• Quite why should I run for the hills?

And why should you need to behave yourself?

You are entitled to be yourself on here, let no one TELL you otherwise,

But Could I please ask politely that you refrain from telling people you speak for all autistics, “we”  “ us”.

we are all different, in your replies you keep saying “us” as if all autistics are thinking the same as you, I do not think anything like you, you keep saying how”we” feel?

you have no idea how I feel. Or what I am thinking, 

You May have similar traits as me, you may understand me and me you, but you cannot begin to understand what I feel or how I care, 

In all the time I have been here I have never heard comments such as yours, you are entitled to your opinions as am I. But please do not say you speak for me, , I am not trying to upset you or tell you what to say or do. I ask politely that you refrain from saying you talk for me and every person who is on the autistic spectrum,

I wish you well, take care, 

I offer a virtual hug which you can ignore if you wish. ().

we don’t all accept hugs as we are all different,

• Thanks for pointing out my errors in use of  us, we etc, it was remiss of me to use those words to make some points.

There was no intention to elect myself as a speaker for everyone here in those posts. 

Likewise you do not know what I am thinking or how I am feeling and I assure you that I am not angry so I would appreciate it if you didn't refer to me as being so.  

• Thank you. The thing is once you had replied and your words were read by the original poster, they  may have been words that changed the way they thought about things?  I read your words andvresponded, to then just delete them like that is so wrong,

For instance if I say something really nasty to you and you are upset by my words and it causes you pain and sorrow, should I then be allowed to run away delete my unkind words and say no not me?,

It is important to leave replies to give accountability to our  actions, 

you could have been strong and apologised but left your words there.

I will never tell anyone what they should say or do, I can suggest if I think it May help. I can ask politely that if something causes me to feel concern then  they might think about not doing it again!

If I cause upset I like to think the person I upset or someone who notices my error will be polite enough to tell me, that way I learn and can try harder to be more thoughtful.

You say that words should be left there, but then later you edited your responses to me and denied saying things that you had originally posted and accused me of making you out to be a liar when it was you that removed words from your post.  I find that hypocritical to say the least, if not manipulation against me.

You are not my father or my boss, I do not need lectures or instruction from you. 

You do not know what prompted my responses to the topic and quite frankly I do not care to tell you after your behaviours towards me, I don't owe you any explanations.

You offered help - I do not need your help or salvation or wishes for happiness, I am quite well and happy and not anything that you implied in your replies.

It is not weak to delete my posts out of respect for others.

I have not said 'no, not me' so why write something like that?!  I have not denied what I wrote and I have made it clear enough that I deleted it out of respect for you and others in the forum.  However, you have edited your post to remove words then denied saying them! Double standards! Might I suggest you take some of your own advice?! 

• I hate being called 'People'

The fact is was giving respect to someone and got shot down in flames for it and manipulated against for it.  So much for respect.

• you make me out to be a liar by saying I am editing my replies,

Here are two pre-edited replies which you then denied editing.

I would thank you to refrain from doing this and saying that I making you out to be a liar on public forums. 

• (I personally support LoneWarrior, DongFeng, and Robert123...)

...Sometimes when a "Thread goes off-topic" so very much and for so long... a "NAS-Moderator" intervenes....

...Obviously not here, then...?

• Interesting discussion.  Perhaps we need the rules they have in some other forums

1. Where one can only change or delete a post within 5 minutes of posting it. 
    2. Cannot change or delete if a reply has been made to it.
    3. After that only a moderator can edit or delete posts.
  • I did not say you were angry?

I have obtained a screenshot of your pre-edited post, you referred to my being angry:-

• My suspicion is that the posts vanish if you follow a link about an update that a user has made - e.g. an item in your "notifications" list.

It *seems* to be the case that if you go to the root of the forums (http://community.autism.org.uk/f ) and then "drill down" to the thread concerned, you will get a coherent display.

(I could be wrong, so don't treat this description as gospel)

*If* I am correct, then this suggests that the "notifications" functionality somehow caches a snapshot of the thread, but crucially doesn't take a snapshot of the *entire* thread, just a part of it to provide the context for the notification?

• I was puzzled by it and then had another look and it's a navigation issue, posts being rolled up? or whatever - having to load the next or previous posts.   But it's free and there are no annoying adverts. 

So I had another look and found them, mystery resolved and my statement corrected.

• The disappearing and reappearing posts is a well known problem on this site.

It happens when we have too many posts.

Reply Children
  • My suspicion is that the posts vanish if you follow a link about an update that a user has made - e.g. an item in your "notifications" list.

It *seems* to be the case that if you go to the root of the forums (http://community.autism.org.uk/f ) and then "drill down" to the thread concerned, you will get a coherent display.

(I could be wrong, so don't treat this description as gospel)

*If* I am correct, then this suggests that the "notifications" functionality somehow caches a snapshot of the thread, but crucially doesn't take a snapshot of the *entire* thread, just a part of it to provide the context for the notification?

• I was puzzled by it and then had another look and it's a navigation issue, posts being rolled up? or whatever - having to load the next or previous posts.   But it's free and there are no annoying adverts. 

So I had another look and found them, mystery resolved and my statement corrected.