Antisocial vs not being very good at being social

I wonder how many of us are seen as being antisocial when the issue is more a difficulty in knowing how to, or a fear/aversion to socially engaging with others?
Is there a tendency for some people to conflate sociopathy with ASD/Asperger's/Autism?

Parents
  • I have Asperger's, I don't have a huge amount of friends, I would say four close friends, the kind who would do anything to help and vice versa and maybe 20 wider friends but who aren't nearly as close.

I don't think they see me as antisocial, but they all see me as totally honest, which can often be brutally honest. I know that it's a trait that my close friends really appreciate, in always tell it like it is, but other people may see that as antisocial. I'm aware I don't have the filters that are normal in social situations but I think many people would see me as a bit awkward rather than antisocial.

• I have Asperger's, I don't have a huge amount of friends, I would say four close friends, the kind who would do anything to help and vice versa and maybe 20 wider friends but who aren't nearly as close.

I don't think they see me as antisocial, but they all see me as totally honest, which can often be brutally honest. I know that it's a trait that my close friends really appreciate, in always tell it like it is, but other people may see that as antisocial. I'm aware I don't have the filters that are normal in social situations but I think many people would see me as a bit awkward rather than antisocial.

Children
No Data