A year later- Confirmed Autistic/Asperger's Syndrome.

Hi everyone, now I haven't been online in a year.. kinda because I wasn't sure if I belonged here due to there being a lot of vagueness surrounding my diagnosis and attending my GP to tell them of the possibly of being autistic.

It was all detailed here: http://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/8088/how-to-talk-to-my-gp-about-possible-autism

After being on the waiting list, a year. (Yes, the waiting lists are as awful as everyone says!) I went for a diagnostic assessment with the local autism service on the 4th of December.
It was a day full of talking to a clinical psychologist, them relaying my questionnaire we had sent them the month previous (one for me, one that was for my mother, being the best informant in my infant years)
And overall the Psychologist informed me that the decision was made between herself, a mental health nurse, two superiors and another psychologist. and that I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome - which she told me due to the DSM/IED would soon just be labelled as ASD and fall under the umbrella of Autism.

It's been a weird month, informing my boss of the diagnosis- awaiting the waiting list to join the support group to better understand my disorder in a clearer light.
It has also shed a lot of clarity to me, and my family following this...

Due to the fact my parents were concerned and continuially told me I wasn't autistic as I "reached milestones healthily" in my former years, such as; speech, reading, walking. all in healthy limits. not too early or late.
But I was informed that it was possible to have normal physical development with my motor abilities but not socially. which fell me into the category.

Now I'm trying to adapt to life as an Autistic adult, is there any support or advice people could give me as a 23yr old woman, juggling a full time job, part time degree and balancing mentality at the same time?
Hopefully I can hear from you guys.

I can finally say. I can be part of this community.
I will introduce myself in due time

Parents
  • It will be interesting to see if the diagnosis of Asperger's really disappears that quickly. It seems few people are trying to enforce that move, because a lot of diagnostician/assessors still favour it - especially for adults, who some say are more likely to relate to a label that has been in the public domain for much of their lifetime. It sounds like you too think it is appropriate. And apparently so do your diagnostic panel. And DSM-5 seems unable to shift it.

• I was happy with being diagnosed as asperger's/autism a few months back, and I can see that both labels have their merits in my case, because in my own estimation I don't exactly set the world alight with my ability to be imaginative in more mainstream areas of life. That said, I think I marginally prefer the term autism - even while thoroughly appreciating Asperger's work. But perhaps that's really just my personal aversion to the common use of the term, Aspie. It sounds more than a bit belittling to me.  But I'm absolutely sure most people are quite happy with it, since it is used by some many posters with regard to their ownselves.
  • It will be interesting to see if the diagnosis of Asperger's really disappears that quickly. It seems few people are trying to enforce that move, because a lot of diagnostician/assessors still favour it - especially for adults, who some say are more likely to relate to a label that has been in the public domain for much of their lifetime. It sounds like you too think it is appropriate. And apparently so do your diagnostic panel. And DSM-5 seems unable to shift it.

• I was happy with being diagnosed as asperger's/autism a few months back, and I can see that both labels have their merits in my case, because in my own estimation I don't exactly set the world alight with my ability to be imaginative in more mainstream areas of life. That said, I think I marginally prefer the term autism - even while thoroughly appreciating Asperger's work. But perhaps that's really just my personal aversion to the common use of the term, Aspie. It sounds more than a bit belittling to me.  But I'm absolutely sure most people are quite happy with it, since it is used by some many posters with regard to their ownselves.
Children
  • Hi, I was diagnosed if Nov at the age of 33. I've just gone with ASD as I believe sub-labels can cause a lot of harm with the general public understanding just how difficult things can be no matter what category you fall under. Have you heard of/applied for disabled students allowances? If not this would be the first step I would take as you may be eligible for an Autism Mentor to help you come to terms with your diagnosis and to help you develop coping strategies. Your university's disability dept can help with this.