How do I get a autism Assessment?

Hi, I am 23 and I have asked my GP for a assessment for autism or additional needs assessment, the GP gave me a number for a website called we can talk.org I telephoned them and they said they dont know why the GP referred me to them as they cannot help, they suggested I contact the local authority which I did online but the services are for children up to 18 years old. I am unemplyed as I struggle to hold a job as I have no self esteem, Im on medication for depression and my doctor just says Im lazy but I cannot change doctors as there isnt another one. I self harm and attempted suicide in the passed however my good friend who has become my voluntry carer for me and a trained mental health first aider, talked me out of it. I cannot talk on the telephone, I dont open mail, I struggle to hear more than one instruction at a time, I have no money as I cant claim ESA as they said I havent been assessed even though my friend came with me and spoke on my behalf, I cannot understand job seekers and to be honest feel like giving up! please can someone show me a way of been assessed as an adult, when I was born I died due to lack of oxygen but was revived and my parents were told I would have problems in adulthood, Im confused,sorry to ask so much but I need to know whats wrong with me.

Parents
  • Hi

Firstly I am sorry to hear about your issues and struggles, most people on here, myself included, will have gone through at least part of what you are feeling so we can empathise. Life on and off the spectrum can be a struggle but it is worth it, so please stay with it.

My approach to getting assessed was to undertake things like the Autism Quotient test, Empathy Quotient test etc in order to build up a picture, then I presented the results to my GP and asked for an assessment with a view to a diagnosis. That way one can quietly find out things about oneself and then it’s much harder for a doctor to argue against requesting a an assessment if the hard data points that way. Such tests can be accessed at: https://psychology-tools.com

Andy

• Thanks for that info about seeing your GP.  I've yet to have a formal diagnosis, have just done all the 'Aspie tests' and they show without any doubt that I'm on the spectrum.  I was worried about going to my GP because she knows me as a very capable person (although on constant meds for depresssion) and might pooh-pooh the idea, but I'll take the test results in as you did and hopefully she'll agree to refer me for a diagnosis.

Vicky-Sue

• Thanks for that info about seeing your GP.  I've yet to have a formal diagnosis, have just done all the 'Aspie tests' and they show without any doubt that I'm on the spectrum.  I was worried about going to my GP because she knows me as a very capable person (although on constant meds for depresssion) and might pooh-pooh the idea, but I'll take the test results in as you did and hopefully she'll agree to refer me for a diagnosis.

Vicky-Sue

Children
No Data