Little point in going for an official diagnosis?

Went over history with mental health nurse today. Mentioned  issue of autistic traits. She said she could certainly get me an assessment but after that ,if diagnosed, there wasn't much help for adults in the area.

Parents
  • Thanks both of you for replying. The thing is I'm as certain as can be I'm neurodiverse ,but less certain that I am on the spectrum. Having said that I do score above the threshold on various tests online for asd. I see myself as probably being more nvld(there is an ongoing debate whether that belongs on the spectrum) . My primary problem is socially. I have always struggled with social interaction. I am reckoned to have very poor social skills. I recently found what I'd always thought of as a friend from prep school on twitter. He blocked me. Over 60 years I have had less than a handful of friends.

I also have never worked. As well as the ASD/NVLD there is probable dyspraxia and learning difficulties I am one of those who fits a 'spiky' profile with much higher verbal than non verbal ability.

It would be good to get official confirmation that there is a reason why I am as I am, if only to kick years of being accused of being awkward/demanding/troublesome/passive aggressive etc into touch . And yet I am scared that even that won't happen. I'll go for an assessment and be told it all relates to my psychiatric diagnosis. I've spent so many years with my problems being ignored, because everything has been seem through the filter of a psych diagnosis, that I'm scared any assessment will just end up going down that line, although I'm intelligent enough to know for certain there has always been more going on.

• Hi firemonkey.

It sounds like you are looking for answers and a diagnosis of ASD or anything else for that matter will provide that.  I was wrongly diagnosed for years and knew that there was something more that everyone was missing.

I am glad of my diagnosis as it had helped to reassure me that I wasn't going insane when I thought psychiatrists were not listening too me and fobbing me off with medication that was making me worse.  There was an underlying condition and as such I am relieved that my hypersensitivity to medication has been documented and I am not seen as being dismissive in help when I refuse medication.

We all have our own reasons for seeking a diagnosis and it sounds like you already have yours, you are just unsure of the outcome.  I can understand your trepidation, as my own personal experience of the mental health sector has not been great in previous years, but I have found my diagnosis has provided me with a voice to be listened by my GP (some are still questionable and the processes with the mental health services are still incredibly bureaucratic, but a diagnosis won't change that!).

In the end to get over my fear of requesting a diagnosis, I took time to weigh up the pros and cons of whether I sought a diagnosis or not.  In the end I decided I didn't have a lot to lose as I needed support, but need the right diagnosis to ensure any future treatment was fit for purpose.

Post-diagnosis is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster as well as I am finding out, but others have said that this is normal and that it takes time to come to terms with things.

I hope you get what you are looking for, either way.

• I guess I'm scared of what may be an all or nothing throw of the dice. That they decide I'm not ASD(which would be fair enough) but in doing so it shuts down any attempt to find out why and how I'm neurodiverse, and the difficulties I have.
    That I'm basically left having shot my bolt with no other bolts to shoot.

• I was in two minds about it, but reading your replies, I can't put it off. 

• Thanks. The realisations. Some of the pieces finally falling into place. it's mind blowing in lots of ways.

• I’m so pleased about that. A friend of mine was told by the nurse that he is most likely on the spectrum but that there wasn’t really any point in going for the diagnosis. He hasn’t got that burning desire to know, he has a lovely partner, probably on the spectrum herself, and they have a nice little life going for them. So for him, his difficulties don’t cause him any extra anxiety, he has learned to live with them and he has created a nice little life for himself. For me, it was different. I needed to know. I’m sure I can speak for all of us when I say we’re all behind you. Any fear or anxiety I experienced throughout the process was worth it and I had a really easy smooth time through the assessment process from start to finish. It wasn’t perfect, but it wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be and as soon as I had been to see my gp and I asked for the referral to the autism team, I was so proud of myself. I felt like I had honoured myself for the first time in my life. I felt like I was finally standing up for myself. And that feeling alone was worth pushing through the fear. It felt like the diagnosis almost didn’t matter at that point. It takes a hell of a lot of courage but it is so rewarding. Best wishes with it and don’t forget, we’re all here for you. 

• Good luck x wishing you all the best x

• You have given me the courage to seek diagnosis. Thank you. 

Reply Children
  • I was in two minds about it, but reading your replies, I can't put it off. 

• Thanks. The realisations. Some of the pieces finally falling into place. it's mind blowing in lots of ways.

• I’m so pleased about that. A friend of mine was told by the nurse that he is most likely on the spectrum but that there wasn’t really any point in going for the diagnosis. He hasn’t got that burning desire to know, he has a lovely partner, probably on the spectrum herself, and they have a nice little life going for them. So for him, his difficulties don’t cause him any extra anxiety, he has learned to live with them and he has created a nice little life for himself. For me, it was different. I needed to know. I’m sure I can speak for all of us when I say we’re all behind you. Any fear or anxiety I experienced throughout the process was worth it and I had a really easy smooth time through the assessment process from start to finish. It wasn’t perfect, but it wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be and as soon as I had been to see my gp and I asked for the referral to the autism team, I was so proud of myself. I felt like I had honoured myself for the first time in my life. I felt like I was finally standing up for myself. And that feeling alone was worth pushing through the fear. It felt like the diagnosis almost didn’t matter at that point. It takes a hell of a lot of courage but it is so rewarding. Best wishes with it and don’t forget, we’re all here for you. 

• Good luck x wishing you all the best x