Any other autistics who have never been depressed or on meds?

I feel like I'm the only one!! Life is hard, I get stressed, I have severe anxiety and many phobias, as well as a degree of OCD. But I'm not depressed and my mood is mostly stable. I have had meltdowns (we just called them tantrums back in the day), but they blew over and I recovered quickly. I just follow my routine and interests and keep on an even keel. I don't work, which probably helps, and am single. I was diagnosed before my sense of difference really hit me, and I was late to develop awareness, or really care about being different.

I receive a lot of support, which helps. 

Parents
  • I suffered from depression for many years - up until I got my diagnosis.  That showed me what the root of it was.  I was depressed because I couldn't 'fit in' and had other problems, and didn't at the time understand why.  The diagnosis gave me that understanding.  Since then, my mental health has improved.  Pre-diagnosis, I took SSRIs on and off for years - but they just made me feel doped.  They're not really formulated for autistic neurology, though.  I take no meds at all now.  I have thought about investigating something for my ADD, though.

• I suffered from depression for many years - up until I got my diagnosis.  That showed me what the root of it was.  I was depressed because I couldn't 'fit in' and had other problems, and didn't at the time understand why.  The diagnosis gave me that understanding.  Since then, my mental health has improved.  Pre-diagnosis, I took SSRIs on and off for years - but they just made me feel doped.  They're not really formulated for autistic neurology, though.  I take no meds at all now.  I have thought about investigating something for my ADD, though.

Children
  • That's interesting what you say about the SSRIs not being formulated for autistic neurology.  Would that be the same for other meds such as painkillers?  I find that painkillers do nothing for me other than give me tummy ache.  I also had SSRIs in the past and they did nothing either.