Any other autistics who have never been depressed or on meds?

I feel like I'm the only one!! Life is hard, I get stressed, I have severe anxiety and many phobias, as well as a degree of OCD. But I'm not depressed and my mood is mostly stable. I have had meltdowns (we just called them tantrums back in the day), but they blew over and I recovered quickly. I just follow my routine and interests and keep on an even keel. I don't work, which probably helps, and am single. I was diagnosed before my sense of difference really hit me, and I was late to develop awareness, or really care about being different.

I receive a lot of support, which helps. 

Parents
  • I'm ASD and also Bipolar 2, but wouldn't say I get a lot of depression, either.  Like you, my mood is stable enough too. I probably have enough to be depressed about though - I cannot work, due to artritis and I live alone: I see my kids pretty infrequenty, as they live abroad. I can get pretty low, but I can sense it coming and have developed a skill set to dodge it. I'm also ADHD, which is inconvenient (to say the least) but does stop me sinking into depression, as I seem to have a lot of energy. You say you don't work, which helps. Do you mean you have enough time to follow your routines and manage yourself? And your single....Does that mean you don't have to manage a relationship? I can understand that, as relationships are the greatest causes of stress to me. However, I don't think you should think you're the only one. Look around this place and see how many like minded people there are. You'll see there are many individuals you can identify with. Choose whatever works for you, realise you're not the only one, and your anxiety should decrease a bit

• I'm ASD and also Bipolar 2, but wouldn't say I get a lot of depression, either.  Like you, my mood is stable enough too. I probably have enough to be depressed about though - I cannot work, due to artritis and I live alone: I see my kids pretty infrequenty, as they live abroad. I can get pretty low, but I can sense it coming and have developed a skill set to dodge it. I'm also ADHD, which is inconvenient (to say the least) but does stop me sinking into depression, as I seem to have a lot of energy. You say you don't work, which helps. Do you mean you have enough time to follow your routines and manage yourself? And your single....Does that mean you don't have to manage a relationship? I can understand that, as relationships are the greatest causes of stress to me. However, I don't think you should think you're the only one. Look around this place and see how many like minded people there are. You'll see there are many individuals you can identify with. Choose whatever works for you, realise you're not the only one, and your anxiety should decrease a bit

Children
No Data