The wait is over!

2 hours ago the letter confirming my diagnosis as Autistic dropped through the letterbox... the relief is ENORMOUS! I'm 52 now and have always known that I was different but couldn't explain it. Years of trying to understand my past and fix myself with the wrong service manual (I'm an electronic technician by trade) are over. I'm sure I'm gonna experience many different moods over the coming days and weeks but for now I just wanted to officially say hi to my new tribe and celebrate!

Aspie n proud!

Parents
  • Hey Aspie you! How long was the wait from self referral to postal delivery? X

• Hi Ellie... it was just under 14 months. My last of three 1 hour sessions with the psychiatrist who assessed me was 11 weeks ago, the wait since then has been awful he said it would only be 4 - 6 weeks. Still can't grumble really as I know from reading others experiences here that some wait longer or are refused NHS diagnosis altogether.

• There seems to be some very wide variation in the time taken for the diagnosis process, mine seemingly being very short by comparison to many others: I spoke to my GP, three days later I was assessed by a mental health nurse and put forward for formal diagnosis. Five months later I spent six hours at the diagnostic unit (including two one hour breaks), so after four hours of diagnostic assessment I was told my diagnosis there and then. The full diagnostic report arrived two weeks later.

• "and"...yep it seems a real postcode lottery, both in the time it takes but also in the ways the assessments are done which seem to vary widely... glad your experience was quicker and more efficient than mine!

Reply Children
No Data