Sleeping issues

Does anyone else struggle to fall asleep with their partner in the bed? My wife and I have been sleeping in separate rooms for nearly a year. I really struggle to get to sleep with her next to me. I can’t have any noise and she snores. I can’t have any movement either.

• Have you tried mindfulness and meditation to train your mind to shut down at night?

The military teach a variation on this method that allows soldiers to be able to sleep in noisy and busy environments to ensure they are rested and able to perform.

There is a good article on this here:

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a38925996/military-sleep-technique-fall-asleep-2-minutes/

I learned a similar approach about 40 years ago and once I mastered it I can fall asleep in seconds. It isn't going to garantee undisturbed sleep but it helps get you to sleep and once there the small things are unlikely, but if your wife rolls over and flings a leg over you then chances are you wil wake.

I hope it helps.

• I'm similar, I find I can usually fall asleep but am very easily disturbed.  Once I'm awake all the things you've mentioned start bothering me, sounds especially, even just breathing.  We're lucky enough to have a space so I just go else where.  We have talked about it and she tells me she understands but I do feel guilty.

• I'm like that as well. Sleeping is really hard, I have to have complete silence and darkness to be able to get to sleep. I found blackout curtains help and not using my phone an hour or two before going to bed.

• A couple of Zopiclone with knock you right out.  Only downside is the metallic bitter taste in your mouth for 24 hours afterwards.  Means that Zopiclone is OK for breaking several nights of poor sleeping, but unless you like the appalling aftertaste, stay away from daily use.