ASD and psychosis

Hi all, 

I'm really happy to find so many people, especially women, on the spectrum as I'm struggling to find someone in person. I was diagnosed with Asperger's 2.5 weeks ago, aged 23... not too long ago! I've been finding it very difficult to cope over the last 10 months, and 2 weeks ago I was referred to an early psychosis intervention community mental health team by my psychiatrist after hearing voices and seeing things which aren't real. I'm really worried I cannot cope for much longer and will have to drop out of my PhD, which is the main area I obsess over!

Has anybody else suffered with this, is this normal for Aspies to go through? Does anybody have any advice about what helps, or any other useful ideas?

I'm looking forward to reading through people's experiences... Have a great day!

E x

Parents
  • Hi E, 

Don't fret - I'l tell you my story and hopefully you'll gain some comfort.

I'm diagnosed ASD1: I also have ADHD and I'm Bipolar 2.....They are the labels, and yes they're from consultant psychiartrists.

However, having lived with my personality all my life, I have my own take on such things.

A few years ago, I underwent major surgery, which led to employment issues, the involvment of solicitors and shortly after, two family bereavements.

These are standard enough life events but, at the time, I felt as though I was losing my grip on reality.

I had exactly the same symptoms as you and ended up being prescribed anti-psychotic edication and a diagnosis of Bipolar 2.

What really happened was that I was experiencing, but not handling properly, very intense stress. 

Have you ever seen a bucket of stress?.....I haven't.

I can say this now retrospectively, but I know, due to my personality that carries the label ASD1 / Asperger's, I am invredibly prone to anxiety.

Left unaddressed, I believe this cumulates in people like us, until you actually sense a feeling of complete and utter metdown.

The most natural thing to do is to "catastrophize", hence why you're thinking of dropping out of your Phd.

If you're smart enough to get to this level of education, you are just as able to manage yourself and get through such a time, even though you probably think even the slightest issue is insurmountable.

Yes, people like us do suffer like you, so firstly know there are many, many people like you and just as many who can help you.

Progress your mental health treatment with the professionals: They know what they're doing.

Reach out to places like this for support, but above all, believe stressful times like this all eventually pass and that you will be fine in the end.

Relax, and good luck.

• Hi E, 

Don't fret - I'l tell you my story and hopefully you'll gain some comfort.

I'm diagnosed ASD1: I also have ADHD and I'm Bipolar 2.....They are the labels, and yes they're from consultant psychiartrists.

However, having lived with my personality all my life, I have my own take on such things.

A few years ago, I underwent major surgery, which led to employment issues, the involvment of solicitors and shortly after, two family bereavements.

These are standard enough life events but, at the time, I felt as though I was losing my grip on reality.

I had exactly the same symptoms as you and ended up being prescribed anti-psychotic edication and a diagnosis of Bipolar 2.

What really happened was that I was experiencing, but not handling properly, very intense stress. 

Have you ever seen a bucket of stress?.....I haven't.

I can say this now retrospectively, but I know, due to my personality that carries the label ASD1 / Asperger's, I am invredibly prone to anxiety.

Left unaddressed, I believe this cumulates in people like us, until you actually sense a feeling of complete and utter metdown.

The most natural thing to do is to "catastrophize", hence why you're thinking of dropping out of your Phd.

If you're smart enough to get to this level of education, you are just as able to manage yourself and get through such a time, even though you probably think even the slightest issue is insurmountable.

Yes, people like us do suffer like you, so firstly know there are many, many people like you and just as many who can help you.

Progress your mental health treatment with the professionals: They know what they're doing.

Reach out to places like this for support, but above all, believe stressful times like this all eventually pass and that you will be fine in the end.

Relax, and good luck.

Children
No Data