What do Aspie women (and men) think?

Hey everyone - I've been pretty inactive on the forums as I emigrated to Germany four years ago and have been struggling to find my feet here, but I secured a diagnosis, which was really a huge relief!

Anyway, I had the opportunity to give a TEDx talk and I would love to hear what you think about it... did I actually represent the Aspie community accurately? I should have asked beforehand, but honestly didn't think about how far this video would go afterwards - I'd hate to think that I have made anyone else's life more difficult by telling my own story!

I hope you enjoy the talk either way, and I've had some feedback from people saying that they could relate to this and honestly, that made ME feel more like I'm not alone! Emigrating has been tough - I am extremely socially isolated but dealing with that is a challenge. Either way, it was nice to reach out into the ether in an unconventional way and experience understanding. I hope you all find the same!!

Parents
  • Really enjoyed the talk, thank you, as I'm very interested in all things Aspergers. Only having become aware of my being Aspergers some two years ago, I'm learning more and more about my real aspergers self as opposed to the 'camouflaged' person I, inadvertently, spent most of my life being. Regarding relationships and having a person who is informed about Aspergers, I am fortunate in that I have a partner who is experienced in dealing with Aspergers (in her son) and who is invaluable to me. Relationships are two-way, so she is greatly appreciative of my being a fundamentally straight-forward, honest person who is able to support her in turn with her chronic illness.

• Oh I completely understand what you mean about the person that you spent your life being - it is definitely a challenge being diagnosed later (which many of us were) because you really do end up having quite an identity crisis of sorts. I'm glad that you managed to meet someone who understands how to appreciate you - I think it seems easier for men than women for various reasons, but I could be very wrong and simply just a little jealous.

• Oh I completely understand what you mean about the person that you spent your life being - it is definitely a challenge being diagnosed later (which many of us were) because you really do end up having quite an identity crisis of sorts. I'm glad that you managed to meet someone who understands how to appreciate you - I think it seems easier for men than women for various reasons, but I could be very wrong and simply just a little jealous.

Children
No Data