Getting a specially trained dog for adult with Aspergers?

Basically...

I'm 21 and have Aspergers and would like to get a dog to assist me when in need, to aid my social development and just generally to keep me company and be a positive addition to my life. I'm very aware of the fact that pre-trained dogs seem to only be available to children, and all other recognised service dogs are for people with physical disabilities.

So what I'm wondering is, has anyone here managed to find an organisation which provides specially trained dogs to adults with Aspergers?
Also as far as I know (I haven't checked) the flat I will be moving into soon does not allow pets but as I would have my dog as an assistance dog I'm hoping they'll make an exception.
So what I'm also wondering is, has anyone with Aspergers/anyone who is a parent/carer of someone with Aspergers managed to have a dog accepted in their flat despite the tenancy stating pets are not allowed?

I reckon I'd have to get a regular dog and have it trained over time so I doubt the housing organisation will believe that I don't want it just as an everyday pet. 
If anyone can give me any tips on how to persuade them by proving the dog is vital for my mental wellbeing that would be great :)

Parents
  • supportdogs.org.uk/.../

http://autismassistancedog.com

Good evening. I attempt to give, in some haste, two Links, there. But they may be expensive, depending upon your diagnosis (of Autism)...
    Generally, into any search engine, type any combination of the keywords:
    AUTISM DOGS ASSISTANCE
    ...and what shall appear is mostly things for children. Good fortune to you in anycase.

(I was honestly typing this reply just as the previous reply came up. The Internet confuses me, sometimes...)

• Now that I read your post a little more, you also ask for certain "tips" upon training a dog as an essential companion.

I am not certain how this works in LAW; yet, if you purchase a dog of the Working Breed or Gundog Breed or Toy Breed (Alsations, Poodles, Spaniels, Corgis, or hybrids thereof), and train the dog to do an "essential" thing, such as notifying you when the telephone/doorbell rings, waking you in the mornings, then your "everyday" pet *may* class as an essential pet.
    ...Yet in LAW, any animal has to be *already* supplied with accreditation in advance; E.g. ALL dogs are capable of detecting hazards/danger/bombs/cancers/illnesses/happiness... but not all dogs are issued with a Certificate saying that they can do so. If you can get away with it, I would ask or find out what it is *precisely* that "Qualified Autism Dogs" do - apart from companionship - and then direct any training towards that.
    To end, choose what you think you need your pet to do, and then repeatedly offer your pet treats when they actually, fully, and finish... doing that thing. As you say, this takes time, and you must finish one thing at a time - fully.
    (If I seem rude here or made errors, then I apologise.) Good fortune to you.

• Now that I read your post a little more, you also ask for certain "tips" upon training a dog as an essential companion.

I am not certain how this works in LAW; yet, if you purchase a dog of the Working Breed or Gundog Breed or Toy Breed (Alsations, Poodles, Spaniels, Corgis, or hybrids thereof), and train the dog to do an "essential" thing, such as notifying you when the telephone/doorbell rings, waking you in the mornings, then your "everyday" pet *may* class as an essential pet.
    ...Yet in LAW, any animal has to be *already* supplied with accreditation in advance; E.g. ALL dogs are capable of detecting hazards/danger/bombs/cancers/illnesses/happiness... but not all dogs are issued with a Certificate saying that they can do so. If you can get away with it, I would ask or find out what it is *precisely* that "Qualified Autism Dogs" do - apart from companionship - and then direct any training towards that.
    To end, choose what you think you need your pet to do, and then repeatedly offer your pet treats when they actually, fully, and finish... doing that thing. As you say, this takes time, and you must finish one thing at a time - fully.
    (If I seem rude here or made errors, then I apologise.) Good fortune to you.

Children
No Data