Motor problems in autism persist into adulthood

https://spectrumnews.org/news/motor-problems-autism-persist-adulthood/

My wife used to comment on my gait/the way I walk. I have a tendency to veer from side to side as though a little drunk. Have never had good balance and coordination.

• it's called Dyspraxia. Good websites for it. You can't be diagnosed with it if you're diagnosed with autism because it's considered a subset of autism because most but not all people with autism have it. Good news is the online forums and websites will accept you as a member without a diagnosis because of this. Lots of help and advice on them.

If you notice weakness or change or increased balance problems you should seek medical help, because these can be symptoms of medical problems, including severe ones like MS and mini-stroke as well as mild ones like inner ear infection or vertigo (medically mild if hideous).

• Interesting the smarties between dyspraxia and autism, and the fact they are comorbid conditions. I certainly relate to much of this especially not knowing where things are that I have just been using and forgetting instructions just given in addition to the balance thing. I am not going to publicly self diagnose as it would be taken as some sort of hypochondriac by others but I wonder how dyspraxia  could be diagnosed in someone who is diagnosed autistic (or vice versa).  There seem to be too many parallels although there are one or two autistic traits not present in 'pure' dyspraxia 

• Have you looked at information on Dcd? Developmental coordination disorder /dyspraxia... It has many overlaps for some of us. https://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/dyspraxia-adults/ 

• Sorry, my misunderstanding.

I was just thinking of a 1970s comedy episode, where someone broke their leg while decorating at home. Then tried to get into work with his broken leg where he planned to fall down the stairs to make his employer liable for his injury.

• I was on my way to the supermarket not at the supermarket itself. A friend did suggest reporting it to the local council. Fortunately I need a new pair of glasses anyway so breaking my current pair is not the end of the world.

• Did you report it officially to them at the time!

You could have claimed compensation for your injuries.

• I tripped over something walking to the supermarket only on Friday and broke my glasses giving myself a black eye and injuring my right hand which means I'll have to wear a splint until it heals. Fortunately they were both soft tissue injuries and I didn't break any bones.

• I've always had problems with bumping into things, knocking things over and falling down from childhood and still have them.

I perhaps stumble and fall once a month, in fact I have got quite adept at falling over so that I never hurt myself (touch wood), but it sure is inconvenient.  Not many years ago (certainly within the last ten) I stumbled in a shop and knocked to display down -- a lot of ornaments and things.  The owner of the shop was not best pleased.

I was given tablets when in my early twenties but they didn't seem to do anything so I stopped taking them  I have had brain scans but they don't show anything untoward.

It is an autistic trait.  I am now 63 and it still affects me.  But I am not particularly worried about it although I just hope as I age I don't get to hurt myself by falling over.  It is not 'blacking out' it is just one minute I am standing up and the next I am on the ground.  I do take a stick sometimes which gives me a bit of reassurance but even that does not always stop it.

• Have you talked to your medical doctor?  They may want to send you to a physical therapist who can make suggestions of exercises to help you.  Also, I find yoga to be very helpful.