Involuntary outbursts when alone - sort of Tourette's

Very recently diagnosed with ASD. Does anyone else get a sort of mild Tourette's? When I am alone I tend to say things that I'm thinking, or come out with an involuntary groan or word. It happens particularly when I think of something embarrassing. Is this an ASD thingy? Thanks!

Parents
  • me too. Yes, it's part of 'echolalia' and nonsense utterances and uncontrolled speech, which is part of autism - i have ocd as well, and it's in that as well too

• That's interesting.  My wife and I both do it when we're together (or on our own), often with the same phrases.  We used not to do it in front of our children when they were younger, but as they approached adulthoot it just crept in - much less stressful not having to worry about not doing it.

It also involves wriggling toes semi-randomly, usually at the same time as the speech.  No idea why we do it - it really is below the level of concious.

Sometimes it's even when we're half-awake in the middle of the night. 

• Haha I’ve started to notice the toe wiggle thing in me! It’s fascinating, and you’re right, it’s much easier to let it be than to control and filter our every move. 

Reply Children
No Data