What was your epiphany? how did you know/think you were ASD?

What led you seek diagnosis? 

Parents
  • I'm in my early fifties now but back in 1991 when I was a techie in TV production at a local university I had my first eye opener. We'd been commissioned to make a short self help video for people who were waiting to be assessed for autism as services were limited and stretched and there was a long wait. These were people who were quite a way along the spectrum but never the less as I sat there doing the sound listening to their stories I saw quite a few parallels with myself but my symptoms were milder, so dismissed it... but the thought was always there in the back of my head.

Fast forward to about 5 or 6 years ago when my eldest lad was having difficulties at school and especially with homework. I started looking at dyslexia and dyspraxia symptoms on the internet and somehow found myself reading up on Aspergers as there seemed to be links. The more I read the more I recognised myself. Since then its been a slow accumulation of knowledge plus some difficult times personally that lead me to realise I need to get a diagnosis. Hopefully that should arrive within the next few weeks.

• For most of us it seems a history of personal self-enquiry, the left over jigsaw piece in the box.....  Let us know how you get on with your diagnostic results.  x

Reply Children