Private sensory room business

I have a daughter who is currently awaiting diagnosis for pda austism and quite possibly some other things in the mix.

I have struggled to find a relaxing place for my daughter so I’m opening a private sensory room
I plan to do complete room hires also small group sessions for primary aged children with special needs and well as babies

Just had my location confirmed it’s in a converted barn on a farm very peaceful
Just wanted to ask for other mums help and suggestions to what they would like to see? What would put them off also

I’m looking around £5/7 a child for a hour group session with a max of 5 kids
To hire out exclusively and share if you wish with a friend £25 an hour

Unsure whether to make have a ball pond and soft play shapes as not sure if it will take the calming aspect away

I would really appreciate any help at all my life savings are building it and really can’t afford for it to go wrong!

• Can I ask what your set up looked like? was it just an open gym that was created with multi sensory in mind? or was it individual rooms?

• @NAS24904 I am so sorry to hear that! I didnt expect that to be the case at all. I am glad for your honestly as at this moment in time all I am doing is research. 

I live in Manchester and many people have said they have never heard of or visited one because there isnt one close enough.

I have been thinking about this gap in the market and why no one has gone into this like the play centres, specially with the demands of sensory play and diagnosis on the rise at the minute.

Again as you have experienced it's all down to what people are willing to pay. Which is the greatest of all impacts to the business.

Thank you so much though for taking the time out to read and reply to me. There isnt many people who would offer you truthful advise.

I am going to take it slow with plenty more research into this as well as how to start a business!

I will also keep the mobile sensory play as an option to start of with before diving into the deep end. 

You were brave to do what you did, I wish you well in the future,

Thank you x

• I set it up and it went under within the year 

All money gone I would advise highly against it 

People generally had issues paying more than £3 a head as I had to pre book people often would be no shows 

However I would suggest doing mobile sensory you can hire halls etc for very little without getting mullered for business rates 

It depends on area too we are in Cambridgeshire I used a converted barn but the heat was never right

Sorry to be all down on it but I’d hate someone else to go through the heat ache I have 

Please feel free to msg me 

• HiI have just come across this forum as I had a similar idea recently. I would be in the same situation as yourself and would be investing everything I have into this.

I work with children who have been diagnosed with autism and also children with trauma and attachment difficulties. I access the sensory room we have in school on a regular basis. To see the difference in these children is my ultimate goal. 

I have a few questions if you dont mind answering?

Did you set the sensory room up ? 

Approximately how much did it cost you to start this up ? Renting a place ? Equipment  etc ?

Has it been successful ?

Have you recouped what you invested into this ?

I would really appreciate any help in answering these questions.

Thank you

• HiI have just come across this forum as I had a similar idea recently. I would be in the same situation as yourself and would be investing everything I have into this.

I work with children who have been diagnosed with autism and also children with trauma and attachment difficulties. I access the sensory room we have in school on a regular basis. To see the difference in these children is my ultimate goal. 

I have a few questions if you dont mind answering?

Did you set the sensory room up ? 

Approximately how much did it cost you to start this up ? Renting a place ? Equipment  etc ?

Has it been successful ?

Have you recouped what you invested into this ?

I would really appreciate any help in answering these questions.

Thank you

• It seems you took a great initiative, turning a problem into an opportunity for yourself and like minded soles. I don't know what the sessions are, but I do know for anything to have any result you need an autism-friendly environment. There are plenty idea's and recommendations on my site architecture-for autism.org. You may have a special interest in time-out spaces (http://goo.gl/ytH851) snoozling rooms (http://goo.gl/Yn4WPJ). If you need more advice you can reach me through the contact option on the site.