Telling a 4 year old about his Asperger's diagnosis... Any advice?

Hi, we recently had an Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis for my four year old.  He is very self aware about his behaviour.  We haven't told him about his diagnosis properly. I bought a picture book about Asperger's and he identifies with the boy in it. He starts school in September and I am wondering how and when we should tell him properly about his autism.  Has anyone any suggestions or experiences which they can share.  I have looked at other threads but they all appear to be about older children.

Parents
  • My book on how to tell children and young people about their autism diagnosis is being published on 18th January www.jkp.com/.../all-about-me-2.html

• Hi Andrew (NAS 36002)many thanks for writing a book to help parents explain the realisation how each child will feel and how the child will be perceived and how they can all work together to achieve a good outcome.

can I ask you a question that has always been on my mind since becoming aware of my own autism, I am a 55 year old Male with self diagnosed Aspergers, 

Do you follow the conversations of “ us” to gain insight into how our minds work?

you may not feel able to answer as it may worry  some members that we are being observed, like laboratory animals?

I always hoped that anyone working in the field of the autism spectrum would gain so very much by just standing back and listening to our many worries,concerns and emotional battles. We are able to talk freely,Well some of us are as I am now to you, others remain silent for many reasons, 

As we struggle to understand each of ourselves in the complex world we live in it seems to me to be the best place to observe.

To see the reality of our lives,our thoughts and minds!

Text books and research can give much,but to listen,really listen as we strive hard to untangle our own unique traits is in my mind the real learning area.

I hope you are not offended by my remarks, I would make it compulsory for anyone looking to work and give advice about the autism spectrum to spend time here or similar forums to then write about what they have learnt before being allowed to do their job,

I for one would welcome such a thing, maybe not to join in or give advice as that should be privately done as each individual should be seen in person.and assessed accordingly.

many thanks.

• Hi Andrew (NAS 36002)many thanks for writing a book to help parents explain the realisation how each child will feel and how the child will be perceived and how they can all work together to achieve a good outcome.

can I ask you a question that has always been on my mind since becoming aware of my own autism, I am a 55 year old Male with self diagnosed Aspergers, 

Do you follow the conversations of “ us” to gain insight into how our minds work?

you may not feel able to answer as it may worry  some members that we are being observed, like laboratory animals?

I always hoped that anyone working in the field of the autism spectrum would gain so very much by just standing back and listening to our many worries,concerns and emotional battles. We are able to talk freely,Well some of us are as I am now to you, others remain silent for many reasons, 

As we struggle to understand each of ourselves in the complex world we live in it seems to me to be the best place to observe.

To see the reality of our lives,our thoughts and minds!

Text books and research can give much,but to listen,really listen as we strive hard to untangle our own unique traits is in my mind the real learning area.

I hope you are not offended by my remarks, I would make it compulsory for anyone looking to work and give advice about the autism spectrum to spend time here or similar forums to then write about what they have learnt before being allowed to do their job,

I for one would welcome such a thing, maybe not to join in or give advice as that should be privately done as each individual should be seen in person.and assessed accordingly.

many thanks.

Children