Professionals blaming parents for childrens' difficulties

Hello everyone. I just thought i would enquire here about something I have seen discussed a few times. It seems to be quite common for parents of children with asd / adhd to be blamed for their childrens' behaviour. I find this quite worrying and troubling. Does anyone here have experience of this? It seems not uncommon judging by how many times its mentioned on groups that I have joined. It just seems quite sad that some professionals do this. Surely its not right or ethical? How can this be changed? 

Parents
  • Totally agree and i have had this experience,just a quick bit of background.. as very experienced parents from very very large families on both my side and husbands i were Shocked and very angry when the head teacher said we needed a book on parenting and could recommend us for classes.... this was for my 4.5 yr old son at the time.. he is number 5 of 6 children (4 older children all university graduates and career successful) they have over 20 cousins..this and countless close friends/ clubs etc as well as being employed in childcare and running community toddler groups we have extensive experience of children's behaviour/ milestones/ expectations....so we KNOW when a child is different due to nature not nurture. ..  This comment was made because THE SCHOOL was failing my child.. not us.. we moved schools.   Yes i believe its too easy for so called professionals to blame the parents as it means they don't have to take any further action to help that *difficult* child.   But how can we change this? as these people are meant to be the ones we trust and believe in?? xx.. Whats the saying?? Walk in my shoes ?xx

• Totally agree and i have had this experience,just a quick bit of background.. as very experienced parents from very very large families on both my side and husbands i were Shocked and very angry when the head teacher said we needed a book on parenting and could recommend us for classes.... this was for my 4.5 yr old son at the time.. he is number 5 of 6 children (4 older children all university graduates and career successful) they have over 20 cousins..this and countless close friends/ clubs etc as well as being employed in childcare and running community toddler groups we have extensive experience of children's behaviour/ milestones/ expectations....so we KNOW when a child is different due to nature not nurture. ..  This comment was made because THE SCHOOL was failing my child.. not us.. we moved schools.   Yes i believe its too easy for so called professionals to blame the parents as it means they don't have to take any further action to help that *difficult* child.   But how can we change this? as these people are meant to be the ones we trust and believe in?? xx.. Whats the saying?? Walk in my shoes ?xx

Children
No Data